Brand new mbp 13 build issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firstmacuser, Apr 21, 2011.

1. firstmacuser, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

firstmacuser macrumors newbie

Hi

Im new to this site and new to macs.

I recently bought a brand new sealed macbook pro from ebay from a top rated seller for £835 which was a good price considering it is was sealed etc.... or so I thought..... I opened the box and registered the warranty and so on and put in back in the box with the intention of opening and using it properly once I sold my terrible HP ENVY 14. When I opened the box yesterday and took a real close look at the machine I noticed a few serious build faults.....

1. This is the most serious, when the laptop is closed the left side of the laptop is noticeably bent as if its been molded wrong or something, there are no impact marks whatsoever.

2. The track pad is supposed to be flush but mine dips slightly on the left side which is evident when you look closely and run your finger around the edge of the track pad.

3. There are two small scratches on the right side of the macbook.

4. The bottom plate is also supposed to be completely flush with the case but like the track pad mine is defective, it is flush on the right but not on the left.

One of the main reasons I went for a mbp is because of the reputation for quality, I bought this laptop from a reputable seller who has a very high feedback score and multiple comments from happy users who bought the same laptop I did, so I definitely know he was not selling faulty stock.

I rang Apple today and they said that they could not offer me a replacement as I bought it from a third party but they made an appointment at a store for tomorrow...

My question is .... do these defects fall under poor workmanship from Apple and should I be entitled to a replacement. The laptop was literally brand new and the warranty on it was registered on the 16th april by me on the day I received it..... I emailed the seller who then rang me within 20 minutes and he advised me to take it to an apple store and they will replace it as its not something that can be repaired. Please give me some advice. All advice is welcome.

P.S I came to this site because this was the site that initially made me switch to mac from pc, everyone here seems very knowledgeable on all things Apple so I knew this would be the right place to come.

Thank you for reading. :)

2. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Hmm... Sounds interesting, never encountered anything like this since it is a sealed laptop, it's weird that it contains so many faults. I think you may have purchased a refurbished MBP or simply, as you stated, got a defective laptop that was poorly constructed. Go to an Apple store and tell them the issue, I don't think you will get a replacement, but you may be offered a repair for a discount price or promotion since it is still under Apple Care warranty. For consideration, the warranty covers hardware defects, not user faults so it is still possible you may be eligible for a repair free of charge.

3. alexxn macrumors regular

Definitely get it checked out - you have nothing to lose....

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It depends on what the advice is that you want.

Strictly, your contract is with the seller. It's his responsibility.

Where abouts in the world are you?

AppleMatt

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if you are nice to them usually they work it out.

6. firstmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

This is Apples warranty policy, it clearly states that they will deal with workmanship issues but does workmanship refer to the build quality?, im going to the apple store in kingston tomorrow which is a few miles from where I live in London so I want to be prepared and not have a wasted journey, should I bring the box with me? ....

WARRANTY. Apple’s warranty obligations for this hardware product are limited to the terms set forth herein. Apple, as defined in the table below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”). If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, Apple will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or refurbished that is equivalent to new in performance and reliability and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product.

7. firstmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Im from London, The seller said that Apple should sort it out and if they dont he will have to send it back to his supplier to get a replacement.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Apple should repair/replace the laptop for you, but it may be a little difficult for you to prove that it was like that when you got it. Hopefully they won't give you any trouble.

jW

9. dgitalchaos macrumors member

Your troubles aren't completely unheard of. When I ordered my first CTO machine directly from Apple, it arrived with a dent on the bottom, a ring of light in the center of the screen, and the top misaligned by about 3mm to the left.

Since I did buy from Apple directly, I was able to get a new CTO machine (in perfect condition), but they should hopefully be able to exchange it for you at an Apple store. Depends on who you talk to at the store.

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Is he a business seller?

Maybe Apple will help from a customer services point of view, which they don't have to, but if not let me know and I can help you.

AppleMatt

11. firstmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the offer and advice, I appreciate that. :) (good karma 4rm me 2 u)

I spoke to the guy again today and he offered to replace it for me so I went all the way to Edgware in north London and collected a new one which I am typing from now. So this is a happy ending. Thank you all

12. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

That's great. Really good to see that there are honest sellers on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore