Brand New MBP 15" 2.4GHZ Should I Keep??? Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. coolo macrumors newbie

Can you guys give me your option. I recently received a MBP 15" 2.4GHZ for my birthday. I am currently in engineering school and don't really have time to set it up/open it until Jan 2012 when I'm On Break. My current think-pad clunker will hold me over until then. I am a mac noob and briefly read that although a minor update was recently released on the MBP that a major redesign was in the works and soon to come. Am I better off returning it and waiting?? I am willing to wait until the end of first quarter 2012...Or is nothing MAJOR going to happen in that time as far as major overhauls. Can someone clue me in here? Or give me there best guess

Thanks

James

2. jndub macrumors newbie

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I wouldn't expect another update til at least early spring. There have been rumors that the next update may bring bigger changes, but no one knows for sure.

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

Nobody really knows what's yet to come except for Apple. I'd recommend keeping your new MacBook Pro and enjoy it. :)

4. Ant.honey macrumors regular

James, sell it to me at an enormous discount or keep it and love it as soon as you get the chance.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u recieved a macbook pro for ur birthday, top of the line and ur unhappy?

seriously...

6. hotgrease macrumors regular

well, he isn't necessarily unhappy - but i get your point.

if you aren't going to use it then return it. if you're out of the return period then try to sell it if you're prepared to use the other laptop until May. if not, then keep it an enjoy it. can't you find an hour to set it up??

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Keep it and ditch that Thinkpad! Total no-brainer if I was in your shoes! :)

Love your gift.

8. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

9. yawns macrumors member

The set-up time here is literally how long it takes you to take it out of the box and type your name in. Even if you have a ton of software to install and you want to run through all of their settings to mimic your old stuff, you're not looking at much downtime. It sounds like a pretty big upgrade vs. what you're using now.

If you're dead set on not taking it out of the box, you may as well return it (unless the person who gave it to you would be offended!). There's no reason to let a $2000 computer sit idle and age/lose value. Maybe an upgrade will be released, maybe not. In the worst case scenario, two months from now you can take the money and buy the same exact thing.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'll do much better, I will pay $52 for it.

JK :)

11. Silmarien macrumors member

Well since you wont open it till January and your thinkpad works good, then I dont see why you shouldnt return it. And then on May/June you can buy the new Macbook with the same amounth of money. ;)

12. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Keep it. You'll be glad you did :)

13. coolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks guys! I think I'm going to just keep it then. May seems a little too far out, if people were talking about Jan/Feb then I would have possibly considered waiting, but MAY sounds like what a lot of you are saying. And to reply to the above comments, first off i am ecstatic about my new gift I just want to be prudent given my circumstances. I would be a fool instead to impulsively rip open the box and not to look into my options. Also a lot of the programs I need to run for engineering are Windows based so I have to run bootcamp and have little experience with macs thus far so I wanted to wait until I had a reasonable amount of time to setup everything just the way I like it. Anyhow thanks for all your opinions. If anyone else would like to chime in feel free, I still am open to your suggestions,

Thanks

14. aibo82 macrumors 6502

The ironic thing is that it's toke him longer to register on this site and type a question than it would of been opening the box and setting it up!

Just enjoy it!

15. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

lolz. Exactly what I was thinking.

16. wicked45 macrumors newbie

Sell it to me! $100 and we've got ourselves a deal! :)

But seriously, I am in the market for '15 so if you do decide to sell it, let me know!

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

just open it and enjoy it yeesh be happy u got one as tons of people on this site dream of having a macbook pro int he first place

18. jdsingle macrumors regular

Unless your ThinkPad is broke, I don't know why people think you need to just upgrade just because you have the MBP. If you are completely satisfied with your ThinkPad and it can hold out until after Spring semester then IMO I would wait it out. Making the transition from Windoze to Apple isn't hard by any means, but it is nice to have a decent amount of time to play with it before you need to know it well enough to trust school info on it. If May is too long, then hold onto it. If you were willing to wait until January/February to open it, I'd return it now, get the cash, invest it and get some money and then buy it when you need it. Pointless IMO to just have something sitting around that isn't being used for a little while.