Brand new MBP 15 retina spilled beer...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ladeer, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ladeer, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. vistadude macrumors 65816

They should be fine. Open both up and clean what you can with damp paper towels or cloths.

3. endlightend macrumors member

That might not be the most sound advice.

If you search on the forums there are plenty of threads describing water/liquid spills, many of which have caused permanent damage to MacBooks requiring keyboard or even entire logic board replacements.

Even if water didn't spill directly on the keyboard, the first thing I would have done would have been to turn the MacBooks off and leave them off. I wouldn't risk turning them back on until I was positive that the internal components were completely dry. It's operating the MacBooks with wet components that make the damage worse and usually what fries the logic board. I do agree with vistadude in that the MacBooks should be opened and aired out until you are positive that they are completely dry. Don't use a damp cloth. Use a dry cloth to suck up all the moisture- be very careful not to damage any of the more sensitive components. If there's sticky residue from the beer, that's when I would use rubbing/cleaning alcohol on a cloth to try and remove it.

Apple for the most part does not cover liquid spill damage under warranty as it is accidental damage. Best of luck.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Damage can show up days, weeks or months later. Alcohol isn't good for electronics.

Your Apple warranty is toast. Apple will examine and tell you how much to fix it when it breaks. It's almost certain the beer damaged something.

First thing to do after a spill is turn it off immediately.

5. mariarodriguez7 macrumors newbie

Could you make it work?
    There's the method of the rice, of keeping your equipment in a bag with rice as it sucks the humidity out of it.
    Also get an advanced generation beer mug, that will prevent from happening again.
    It happened to me with my cellphone.