Brand New MBP 2.53 Poor Video Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davexoxide, Jul 12, 2009.

1. davexoxide macrumors newbie

Great Forum, Long time reader first time posting.

I recently upgraded my 1st Gen MBP 2.14Ghz and my legs no longer get cooked while doing basic task. This is a great improvement.

My new laptop is the 2.53Ghz w/ 4GB and 9400M Nvidia GPU w/ 256MB shared memory. upgraded w/ EFI 1.7

Aside from the upcoming Snow Leopard, the main reason I upgraded was because I watch alot of online video. Netflix, Hulu, etc...
    I have read that the new GPU does alot of the decoding which keeps the CPU in single digits.

I noticed something was sluggish the first time I started watching videos. Netflix had a vertical sync issue that I never experienced w/ my old MBP.
    Then today I was watching Hulu and I saw the processing for CPU jump to 112% and the base of my laptop was very hot.

Like I said I purchased the new MBP hoping to avoid cooking the family jewels. Anyone know what's going on and what I can do to stop this?
    Thanks

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Flash is to blame here. Using 112% with 2 cores is not much. Set your fan speed more aggressively with third party application.

3. davexoxide thread starter macrumors newbie

Flash

So if I were to be watching a video through VLC (avi, mpeg4, etc..) this is where I would see the numbers I was hearing about?

Anything I can do to get rid of the vertical sync issues I was experiencing w/ Silverlight? Why did it not happen on the old MBP?