brand new mbp (2011) soo slow and freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by apecrazy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. apecrazy macrumors newbie

i have had my mbp for about a month now. at the same time as me, my other 2 roommates got new mbp also. they go the standard config at the apple store, but i ordered mine custom with an ssd. myself and one other of them are having problems with the computer being super slow and getting a lot of the spinning pinwheel thing. sometimes i will be typing and the words will take about 5 seconds to show up. i have restarted, closed everything but the program I'm using and it happens in several programs. initially i thought it was a MS Word thing, but it happens in all other programs too.
    even web pages load super slow or not at all when i am in the same room as my router and had no problems in the past with my old mbp running snow leopard.
    before i go in to the store and have the people at the genius bar look at it, i thought id ask if theres anything i can do or check out.
    I'm seriously at my wit's end with this and I'm beginning to think that the worst thing i did was buy a brand new mbp with the new os when my old one worked just fine.
    thanks in advance for any help.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Sounds like a faulty hard disk. Back up your data, scrub the hard disk, and send it in for a replacement hard disk.

3. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

This is the MacBook forum. You will have better luck over in the MacBook Pro forum.

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Have you tried resetting your SMC and PRAM? I don't know if it will work for your MBP, but it I think it helped mine...

5. JT123 macrumors member

Well there are three of you and two of you are having the same problem. Interesting either it was a batch that has something wrong with a certain component, maybe HDD or RAM, 2 in 3 Macbook pro's have this problem -unlikely, or you may have some sort of Malware that has been spread by using... maybe airdrop considering you are probably running Lion. Otherwise maybe by USB stick or Network. Maybe run a few scanning tools, Macs aren't completely immune from viruses. :(