Brand New MBP - battery status not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebigdoubleu, Jun 18, 2011.

1. thebigdoubleu macrumors newbie

I bought a Macbook Pro today, 13 inch i5 model. I am liking it so far, but there is a problem: the battery status is listed as "not charging" even though it was at 76%. The adapter was plugged into the wall, the little green light was on. The adapter was slightly warm as well, so I assume a current was running through. I have also plugged the adapter into different wall outlets.

I've performed the SMC reboot and read the battery FAQ on the MacRumors forums to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated. I'd hate to have to take this Mac back the day after I got it :-/

Note that I am a complete Mac newbie, so please bear with me. Many thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibrate your battery to make sure the readings are accurate. If it's calibrated properly and if you've reset the SMC and you've followed the MagSafe adapter troubleshooting steps, the only other possibilities are your battery or logic board. Take it back to Apple and have them check it out.

3. thebigdoubleu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just read through the instructions for calibrating the battery. It states that I should first:

Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

The problem is it was basically stuck at 76% at all times - the status remained at "not charging." So I'm not sure if I can accurately calibrate it. Regardless, I've had it plugged it for quick some time, so I'm just gonna follow the remaining steps and see what happens.