Brand new MBP extremely slow on the web.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stiltzkin, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Stiltzkin macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I bought a mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro and upgraded it with a 128 GB SSD and new RAM. It's a screamer when it comes to loading data-heavy applications, but for some reason I am noticing a huge difference in internet speeds on this computer when compared to my previous 2008 "Blackbook." On that computer, I never had to worry about videos not buffering properly on YouTube, but suddenly this has become an issue on my new computer. Every video plays 3 seconds at a time, then loads. Even normal webpages (RottenTomatoes.com, for instance) takes 5-10 seconds to load fully. Even Apple's own website is loading in fragments (Text first, then photos, then videos) like a late 90's computer.

Normally I wouldn't doubt that this is an internet connection issue, not an issue with the computer. However, that doesn't explain why my old computer is still able to stream videos and load webpages much faster than my new MBP. FYI, my ISP is AT&T U Verse, and I have the 6 mbps plan.

Any suggestions or tips that might help me out? Thanks in advance.

----------

I suppose it might help to mention that this computer is literally brand new. I just bought it a few days ago, and only just reinstalled the OS on my new SSD yesterday morning. Not sure if that is helpful information.

2. Stiltzkin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really concerned now. I just played the exact same YouTube video on three different computers: 2008 BlackBook, my girlfriend's 2009 Sony Vaio, and my brand new $1200 MacBook Pro.

My MacBook Pro never loaded the video. When it finally began to play, the Sony Vaio was already 45 seconds into the video without any buffering time. Then, the MBP stopped after 3 seconds to load again. Even the BlackBook was doing better.

I also ran SpeedTest.net on all three computers. The Vaio has higher download and upload speeds.

What is going on? Is there some application I need to run? Should I have gotten a Vaio? :)

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

make sure your bluetooth is off, it can interfere with wifi speeds. Aside from that, restart your computer, disconnect and reconnect to your router and even try a router reset as well. Try these things and see if it improves and report back

4. scenox macrumors member

Are you using wlan connection? Check if the problem also occurs on another wlan. there might be a problem on a specific wlan channel and other notebooks might use a different channel

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Maybe it's the Flash player? Make sure it's up to date and the correct version for your system installed.

6. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

find a way and downgrade that system to Lion.
    problem solved:D

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

+1, this is also a very common problem.

8. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Try a different browser. What are you using right now?

9. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Try with a good old ethernet cable and see if the problem persists.

10. Stiltzkin thread starter macrumors newbie

I am pleased to report that I am now able to watch Youtube videos without buffering just as before. I did only two things: reset my router, and turned off Bluetooth. I suspect Bluetooth is what did it.

Why does Bluetooth interfere with Wi-Fi? It's something I can live without, but if I ever decide to get a mouse or keyboard I'd prefer them to be Bluetooth. Any ways to get around this?

Just for future reference, I used both Safari and Chrome and experienced the same issues with Youtube on each (until I disabled Bluetooth, of course). Interestingly, when I ran SpeedTest.net through Chrome I got better download speeds than when running through Safari. I haven't tried Firefox because I had issues with it getting bloated and slow on my old Blackbook.

Thanks for all the help. You guys saved me a lot of trouble!