Brand New MBP - multiple kernal panic messages

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJDaniB, Feb 21, 2008.

1. DJDaniB macrumors newbie

Hey everyone....any advice?

I bought a supposidly brand new MBP from a guy off craigslist yesterday. I know what you're thinking but here me out.

So the box and sleeve are opened, but the computer itself is totally immaculate, and box contains cables with original packages unopened. When I turned the computer on it was the first time it had been turned on, and I registered it to myself, although unfortunately not online.

So here I am with my new MBP (17" inch, upgraded HD 200GB, upgraded hi res) and no warranty unless the dude who the guy I bought it from who originally bought it calls apple and registers me as the owner. But I figure - big deal, considering what I paid for it.

This may seem like unecessary back story, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case any of you suspect a refurbished computer or exchanged parts etc.

So today (my 2nd day) three times I get the grey screen and kernal panic message "You need to restart your computer". The only other thing I can think of that might be a factor is that I've been sitting with it on my lap and on my bed and that its overheating. but this seems strange to me for a machine that is brand new not running any heavy programs yet.

?? don't know what to think.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

to check your warranty go to http://www.apple.com/support/ and click "Check My Warranty and Repair Options" near the bottom then enter your serial number which can be found in Hardware Overview in System Profiler. if it doesnt show up the seller may have opened it to see if it booted up properly and not registered. register it under your name by clicking the register alias in Macintosh HD. if its refurbished it will come with a one year warranty from the time it was bought by the your seller.

kernel panics are usually due to bad hardware. do a hardware test by booting up from install disc 1 while holding "D" and report back.

3. DJDaniB thread starter macrumors newbie

Hardware test failed:

4SNS/1/40000000:Tg0D-86.000

aaaaaaaaargh!