Brand new MBP - OSX Lion, clean install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ATaleOfFiction, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ATaleOfFiction macrumors member

I'm expecting my new MBP to come in tomorrow. Now, as I'm starting with a fresh, new laptop, should I bother trying to do a clean install? Or just perform a regular old OS update? There's really nothing for me to worry about and need to back up...... I'm not going to migrate anything from my current Macbook, just re-upload my itunes library when I've got things settled.

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Why the hell would you possibly need to do a clean install on a brand new Macbook that's had nothing done to it other than... A clean install..?

This isn't some Dell/HP PC pre-loaded with 10GB's of bloatware.

Short answer: Absolutely not.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

It's new, there is nothing on the machine. Even if you did buy a Windows say, Vista machine and did an install of Windows 7, it isn't like the stuff on the Vista machine is going to affect the 7 one.

Download it and update.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Lol, you do a clean install because Apple tested it far more times than they tested the upgrade. While there's no settings to butcher, you can have 100% confidence that a clean install is just that, clean.

5. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

You're delusional and borderline OCD if you think it makes any sort of difference fresh from the factory.

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Like the others said it comes with a clean install of Lion.

I don't see any reason to do another clean install.

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I think he's assuming it will come with 10.6, and wants to update to 10.7. I really don't think it matters which you do, but if it were me I would make a separate partition and install 10.7 on that. This way when you realize you hate "Lion," you can delete it.

8. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

It is not the first post in which the guys are asking about clean installing the.. ehm.. clean installed new machines.

I am somewhat perplexed as to why would anyone do it, but there were different reasons offered.

None of which I get, mind you, but there you go.

Some people cannot just enjoy the new machine, they have to tinker with things, which I also don't get :)

It would be interesting to do a research study to see if the people who tinker often are exactly the same ones who come later and ask to get help with fixes for their machines, or who complain of different malfunctions, freezes etc.

Not saying that is guaranteed, i.e. I have no proof... just the good old gut feeling that would be the case... :)

In any case, each to their own.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Or ignorant? Which in this case would just apply to you as you obviously think it would be a more serious case than this for the average consumer.

If you look at it from an average consumer standpoint, it's a lot simpler than installing say, 7 or Vista over the previous iteration and that always took a lot of work, depending on how you wanted to go about doing it. It's easy to assume people who have never updated a Mac before (this would be my first as well, but I'm somewhat of a tech nerd so I'm always on top of news or whatever) and if I didn't know what I do now, I would have questions as well.

Sometimes people don't know (i.e. are ignorant) of the situation. Just because someone doesn't know whether to do a clean install or install over the OS doesn't mean their OCD or just stupid. From all of the errors I have read here, installing on top of SL has brought overheating, crached programs, errors in various places, AND machines not working at all.

So yea, for someone who doesn't read tech news daily, I could see why they would be concerned.

10. loungecorps macrumors member

there are reasons to do clean install on new macs.

I do because I don't want the ilife crap apps taking up space on my harddrive. same for the thousands of printer drivers & language support

you can save alot of room which really counts expecialy with ssd boot drive