Brand new MBP overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkeep, Jun 19, 2013.

1. jkeep macrumors member

Hi,
    2 weeks ago I bought a brand new MacBook pro but after just a couple of days I closed the lid, put it in my bag and after a couple of hours I went to take it out of the bag but found it hadnt gone to sleep, it had kept running in the bag and had overheated that much that I couldnt touch it or start it. after powering it down and waiting a while for it to cool I managed to start it again.
    I put this down to a one off glitch but then to my horror It happened again so I rang Apple Support who were a great help.
    To cut a long story short I wasn't happy keeping a £1250 laptop that had badly over heated twice as I didnt know if there was any long term damage so I took it back to my Apple retailer who gave me a new one.

Then to my horror after 2 days that overheated in the bag whilst in sleep mode.
    I rang apple and they are looking into it.

Here are a few facts.

1/ I had a macbook pro 2008 for 5 years without this problem.
    2// My 1st new one was re-installed from time machine.
    3/ the second one was a clean install incase there was a bug
    in my previous install.
    4/ No new software for the past few weeks.
    5/ nothing different in the past few weeks, just running it the same as always.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

Kindest,

Jeff

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Possible some app you have installed is preventing the machine from going to sleep. Just b/c an app worked fine w/ your previous machine doesnt mean will will play nice w/ your new one. Even if you were using the same version OS X the new one has a different build. In any case it's not normal. I would make an appt w/ the Apple Store and let them take a look at it.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well its not uncommon to see heating issues with the newer macbooks. The question is: why, when its idle? Were there any high demanding programs running when you closed your laptop? Also what is the bag made of. Some bags can retain heat and just be like an oven instead of dissipating it.

I would look more into why it isnt going to sleep though

4. ljx718 macrumors 6502

could be idle, but if vents were blocked, it would overheat

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Some issue i could think of would be that your sensor which detects the lids closed or not maybe malfunctioning. Hence not putting it to sleep. other issues could be some application.

6. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I might buy a cMBP 13" tonight at BB ($300 off sale). My wife and I bought a 13" rMBP a few weeks ago, and it runs cool as a cucumber, but Best Buy's display cMBP is pretty hot on the bottom. I've seen a few YouTube videos about polishing the CPU's heat sink, etc, but will a stock model run cool enough to use on my lap? I don't do anything more intensive than watching video, and the display model gets hammered pretty hard at BB (probably has every app open as well :D ).

7. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

To the OP, in what order are you doing things?

Close lid
    Unplug/disconnect
    Place in bag

or

Unplug/disconnect
    Close lid
    Place in bag

If you close the lid before disconnecting everything then it's been known to wake it back up. Since you're having this problem with multiple laptops, not just the first one you bought, I'm inclined to think it's user error and not a hardware or software problem.

8. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

To me it sounds like some application is preventing it from going to sleep and then in the bag because its not asleep and the vents are blocked its overheating. The fault probably lies in software not your hardware.

just go through with each of the apps you have open and see which prevents it from sleeping.

I haven't had it happen once on my new 2013 Retina (been 4 months now)

9. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Could be related to the Power Nap feature in Mountain Lion.