Brand new MBP screen brightness levels not actually affecting screen brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cit1, Jun 11, 2009.

1. cit1 Suspended

Just got a new macbook tonight and did a time machine backup.. the problem is, my screen brightness level is not working?!

The level shows that it is going up and down when I control it via keyboard and when I go into system pref.. I have tried to reboot a couple times as well as a complete shut down, but that has not helped. I don't really know what else to try I have spent probably a good 30 minutes searching google with no luck :(

Here is a SN of my system pref if it is of any use:

[​IMG]

2. cit1 thread starter Suspended

Wow and I just noticed when I try and adjust my sound levels it pops up and says sound is not available .. I wonder if the time machine backup messed something up.

Is there a way to do a system check/restore while keeping my files and settings intact?

3. fpnc macrumors 68000

What do you mean you did a Time Machine backup? Did you try to install a backup of a previous generation Mac onto your new MacBook Pro? If so, that MAY cause problems. It's possible that the backup restoration didn't do any harm but that would be my first guess as to what may be going wrong.

The only version of Mac OS X that you can use with your new MacBook Pro is the version that ships on the install DVD that came with your new system.

If you wanted to copy your user files from an older system I'm pretty certain that you should have used the Migration Assistant, not Time Machine.

4. cit1 thread starter Suspended

The old machine is running Leopard as with the new one, does it still make a difference?

5. TheClarkster macrumors newbie

Yes it makes a difference.

To fix your problems you should reinstall the computer using the disks it came with. Then use the migration assistant to transfer your files from the old computer.

By restoring the time machine backup, you restored the drivers for your old computer also, and it doesn't work correctly with your new hardware.

6. cit1 thread starter Suspended

That makes sense. The thing I don't like about migration is it doesn't transfer all of my program settings as well. I open programs like Adium and none of my accounts or logs are there any more. Is this normal for migration assistant?

I thought there was a way to restore the system files using the Leopard CD? Maybe I could run something like that to reinstall the proper drivers on the machine..

7. cit1 thread starter Suspended

I think if I install leopard first and then restore from timemachine it should work. The way I was doing it before was restoring my entire system install from time machine, which would probably work if it was going back on to the same machine..

8. cit1 thread starter Suspended

Ok just for reference for anyone who might find this thread on google and having the same issue as me.

The problem was when I did the restore from TimeMachine I was doing it before Leopard was installed on the machine (Which would have worked if I was restoring on the same system). But since it was a newer machine, the TimeMachine backup was trying to use my old system files. The easy work around (which I should have just done in the first place) was after Leopard was installed on the new machine, then to the TimeMachine backup within the OS software.

I am up and running fully it appears now :) Cheers!