Brand New MBP too slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mosgaar90, Apr 1, 2013.

1. mosgaar90, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

mosgaar90 macrumors newbie

Hi.

I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro. I was excited to enter into OSX since I've been using windows all my life. However, I feel like my mac isn't running as smoothly as it should be: scrolling in Safari is somewhat slow and laggy, some applications like Acrobate Reader, App Store and Microsoft Word are also pretty laggy (scrolling and editing is slow) and some of the graphic transitions (for example swiping between the two screens in LaunchPad) are a little delayed (not too sure about this last one, but i've noticed that my friend's older MBP does this faster).

I've noticed that these problems are much less evident if i log into a guest account and run applications from there.

Specs:
    - 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    - 4GB 1600MHz memory
    - 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive

The computer is 4 days old - what could have gone wrong?

Thank you!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You don't mention the specs of your new Mac..:

RAM?

GPU?

The applications you mention require ample system specifications to run smoothly on any machine...Mac or PC.

3. mosgaar90 thread starter macrumors newbie

good point.. :)

- 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    - 4GB 1600MHz memory
    - 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Mac would have benefited from 8GB+ which is probably whats slowing things down. Check your activity and startup folders and see what's being used, but the 4GB is your issue I think. if you want to, remember you have 14 days in which to return the Mac, no questions asked, and maybe consider 8GB?

5. mosgaar90 thread starter macrumors newbie

The applications run just fine on my guest account though - doesn't that tell me that it is not necessarily a hardware issue?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Maybe, which is why I suggested checking activity monitor for both accounts. Choose "All Processes" and post screenshots of each result.:)