Brand new MBP - WiFi issues on OS X and Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrat93, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I had a thread last night to help find a solution to what I thought were router problems. Basically, my iPhone and MBP couldn't connect to my dorm room's WiFi network. We have an AirPort Extreme. My roommate had no trouble connecting his iPHone and MBP, so we were both very confused. This morning, my iPhone no longer had any issues connecting to my network. However, my MBP is still having issues on both my Windows and Mac partitions.

When I try connecting in OS X, I get the "!" over the WiFi bars on the status bars and it says "Alert: No Internet Connection." I tried deleting all saved networks, rebooting, etc. In Network Preferences, under WiFi, it says "No IP Address." I cannot connect in my Windows partition. The computer was about a day old after it had these problems.

So, is this a hardware issue? In the other thread, I got mostly advice on how to reconfigure my router, but that seems to not be the issue. Any suggestions?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's not necessarily bad hardware, but it could be. Try another wifi network (e.g. a local coffee shop). If it works there, it's probably not going to be a hardware issue.

All we really know is that you're not getting an IP address, and this could easily depend on the configuration of the various routers.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

You know, it was the weirdest thing... I tried connecting on my school's public WiFi network... No luck. I tried running the network diagnostics utility for the heck of it. While in the middle of running the diagnostic, the diagnostic quit itself and I was instantly connected to the school's network. No problems after that on any networks, or either OS.