Brand new MP and Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thomasp, Dec 9, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

We might be investing in a new mac pro soon, and this will come with Leopard. Unfortunately, a lot of software that will be used on it is currently experiencing issues in Leopard (Photoshop CS2 for example). We also have an original Tiger installer DVD (the generic one bought off the shelf, not one that came with a computer).

If it turns out that the applications in question won't work with Leopard, will the new MP's allow me to wipe the HD and downgrade to Tiger? And more's the point - will Tiger actually run on them?

Cheers :)

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

There's a 100% chance that the answer to your question is either "yes" or "no."

We don't when new Mac Pros will be released. We don't know what hardware will be in them. We don't know what drivers they will require.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, should have made myself clearer, I'm talking about a current-model Mac Pro. As in one that will be purchased within a week or two.

I think by "new" I meant "a new computer" - sorry for any confusion :D

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Oh, D'oh! Probably my mistake more than yours -- like many here I've got "New Mac Pro New Mac Pro" on the brain. :) Yeah, you're totally set. No problem at all putting Tiger on a currently-shipping Mac Pro even if it comes with Leopard.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

While I don't have a definite answer, there hasn't been any major changes to the MacPro since Leopard came out correct?

So I would guess there would be no major issues with installing an older OS on them, since they've had Tiger on them previously.

6. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's great - cheers for the replies :) And Nugget - I think it was the "new MP's" in my first post that confused things ;)

Ideally, we'd buy CS3 at the same time, but a hastily-purchased Mac Pro + 23" ACD does take quite a chunk out of your back pocket (dying G4 MDD has meant an urgent upgrade), so Leopard might have to wait a bit if CS2 has "issues".

7. iSavant macrumors regular

Check to make sure your Tiger DVD is 10.4.6 or later... Mac Pro needs that.

8. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a nasty feeling it isn't... on the disk it just says "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4" and "Disc version 1.1" and "Copyright 2005". From memory I think it's something like 10.4.2, but it might be slightly newer.

How much of a problem is that? Is it possible to install using the Tiger installer DVD then download the 10.4.11 update from either the Apple website or Software updater?

9. iSavant macrumors regular

Could be trouble... but maybe a workaround involving an external drive from another computer maybe ???

Are you sure the new Mac Pro you buy won't be coming with Tiger preinstalled and Leopard dropped in?

10. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, we've got an MBP with Tiger on that will probably be used via Target Disk Mode to get the apps, etc, across, but we haven't thought that far ahead.

No idea. It'll be ordered from the Apple UK online store some time within the next couple of weeks (unlikely to be a BTO, just stock processor, RAM and everything else). Are Apple's stock machines still shipping with Tiger?

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

All of the retail versions of Tiger are PPC only... you won't be able to use that disk.

12. Blogger macrumors 6502

Agreed, the retail Tiger disc is PPC only. So I'm afraid it won't work.

13. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, forgot about that...

Thanks anyway. Looks like a CS2 --> CS3 upgrade will be on the cards as well...