Resolved brand new, need help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bdodds1985, Dec 16, 2011.

1. bdodds1985, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

im new to the camera world but very interested in buying something such as a digital slr. however, i would love to be able to record at least 720p video as well. im looking for suggestions at a reasonable price (below 1500 at least) but i am open minded. id love to get a whole package with a lens, bag, maybe a flash. like i said, its all new to me.

2. musique macrumors regular

musique

There are two forums here that have some overlap: Digital Video and Digital Photography. You've posted here in the Digital Video one, which tends to be more focused on shooting video than on still images. If you're asking about flash, you may be more interested in still photography because video requires what's know as "continuous lighting" as opposed to flash. Moving this thread to the Digital Photography might help you to get more answers.

That being said, there are a variety of DSLRs in your price range that shoot both stills and video. Generally, however, shooting video requires different accessories than shooting stills.

Good luck with your research.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Canon T3i, 60D or Panasonic GH2 were the cams I'd look into. But don't forget to set some money aside for audio equipment (external recorder and a somewhat decent mic).

----------

oh, and don't forget a good set of headphones (flat frequency curve, no bass boost).

4. bdodds1985 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

do you have any suggestions for a cheaper mic thats decent for the Canon EOS Rebel T3i? thats what i plan on getting.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you do. As a recorder, I suggest as the Zoom H1 as a base. For interviews, an Audio Technica ATR3350 does a great job (with a Y-splitter you can plug two of them into the H1)
    As on camera mic or boomed into the H1, the Azden ECZ990 is dirt cheap and does a decent job. Don't forget that a mic on-camera is normally a nono and should only be used in run and gun or emergency situations.

This is about the cheapest you can get with some decent quality. I use that stuff for my family videos (having a bit more upscale gear on the job...)