Brand new phone not so brand new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Capt Crunch, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I got my iPhone today from an ATT store, brand new, shrinkwrapped in the box. I started to use it and everythign seemed fine except that when I want to the App Store and tried to download a free app, it asked me to enter in a password. Ok, that's fine since I haven't tied my iPhone to iTunes on my computer yet, but there was a login already displayed which was an email address that I have never seen before. What gives?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

When they activate it at the Apple or at&t store they have to use an iTunes account to set it up.

3. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

So they just used a random one? When I tie it to my computer everything will be fine? I don't need to worry that someone else is seeing my info?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

mhmn, don't worry once you sync it will replace that info with yours.
    If you're extra paranoid (as I am) you can just do a full restore of your phone the first time you sync it on your computer.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's brand new.

You can look at the serial number when you plug it into iTunes, and the 4th and 5th digit is what week it was made. It should be pretty recent, so maybe like a 46ish?

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I had to pick up a new 8g today because i sold my 16g but thats another story. Anyway mine was made in the 46th week. So you should have one made around then. Its not used.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

mail the phone to me, I'll verify if it's brand new.

9. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

So just to verify, the guy who setup my iphone at the ATT store used his email address (an edu one) to set it up rather than asking for mine? This is common practice?

10. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you did what i suggested, you'd know your initial answer.

12. The General macrumors 601

It MOST CERTAINLY is NOT common practice. Common practice is that they use a special version of iTunes that does not require an email address to activate. When you go to install an application, it will have TWO text fields, one for your email and one for your password. If some strange email address is in there, that means you didn't get a brand new phone.

If the phone is fully functional and in like-new condition, I wouldn't worry much about it. But I would call Apple and make sure your phone is registered to you and not someone else.