Brand New Retina iMac "replacement"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mgb1120, Dec 10, 2014.

1. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

Purchased custom i7 295x iMac received it with lots of cosmetic damage around screen with a loud grinding fan, was extremely disappointed set up for replacement, shipped new one out and new replacement on order, will this machine be factory new or refurbished? For the money I spent want to make sure it's factory new. ##

2. indecision macrumors regular

Should be brand new. How does a replacement work? Do they ship it first and then you gotta send old machine back?

3. mgb1120 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah had to send mine back first then they process the replacement once the fedex label is scanned, so no computer currently.

4. Branskins macrumors 65816

You can usually ask for an "Advanced Replacement" where they put a hold on your account, ship you a brand new one, and then return your problematic one within 14 days of the new one being shipped.

Because I use my computers for work, they always seem to go this route instead of needing me to return it first.

Either way, dealing with Apple customer support is pretty painless.

When you get your new tracking number for the replacement, it will show it shipping from the manufacturer and will come in the same retail packaging and box. All signs point to it being a brand new machine

5. mgb1120 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes was easy and painless no complaints! Hope next one has no damage! Since it was a custom build i figure it has to be a another new unit.

6. hummer28 macrumors member

I received a stock config riMac last week and the screen was DOA. Luckily, one of my local Apple Stores exchanged it without issue. They stated they had never seen anything like it. It was clearly on, but the screen wouldn't engage. They ran all kinds of tests and couldn't determine what the issue was. I've received a damaged iMac years ago like you described, but Apple discounted it so heavily after I called in I sold it on Ebay and bought another.