Brand New Retina Logic Board, No Serial # Shows in About this Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nasty275ss, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Nasty275ss macrumors member

Long story short, I have a 15" 2012 2.6ghz 16gb RAM and it was water damaged so I bought a BRAND NEW board for it which is a 2.7ghz with 16GB of RAM, just curious, nothing ever shows up for the model ID, like MID 2012 or 2013 whatever, and is there a way I can enter a serial number into "about this Mac", any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

I believe that Apple has to replace the logic board and give it a new serial number.

Because you replaced it you can't add a new serial number...

3. Nasty275ss thread starter macrumors member

Well if they have a way of doing it, Im sure theres a way for me to do it too, thats what Im wondering, if theres a command in Terminal or deep in the system somewhere, that I can add serial number, theres got to be some way I would Imagine, its no big deal, I really dont care, Im just being curious. Thanks tho

4. Anitramane macrumors 6502

You can do it via Efi I think. But you can’t do it via Efi I think.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

On the old PPC based systems, you could boot off of a special DVD and change the serial number. I believe this was an Apple tool that was supposed to be for their internal use only, but one of the systems we sent out for repair came back with a disk in the optical drive.

6. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

A bit of a contradictory post, you can but you can't lol

Barney

7. sasparilla1 macrumors newbie

i once had a mac with a replaced motherboard, and that one didn't show a serial number either so i guess its normal.

8. jg321 macrumors 6502

Not normal. In the Apple Store (and I assume authorised repair centres), they set the S/N. Had two new logic boards in my old 2011 MBP and they both had the serial number in "About this Mac".

9. Nasty275ss thread starter macrumors member

Yea, those Apple "Genius's" are only human too and theres got to be a way to do it, if they have a way to do it Im sure I can too, unless I need a $100,000 computer system or machine to do it, which thats not gonna happen haha im sure its buried somewhere in the mac, just need to know the commands and ways to get there, to me its no huge deal, I was just wondering how feasable it is to do, I bought it from a NON Apple place, So Im assuming he received the boards like that too, unless maybe he wrote "System Serial #" in there, I dont know, but thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

10. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

The info may be in a flash chip and they may use a jtag interface to program the serial into it.

Barney

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Bring the computer back to the Bar. They will load the serial number with no issues.

12. Nasty275ss thread starter macrumors member

Yea, maybe Ill give that a try, taking it to them, just let them f with it. thanks everyone ,I appreciate it

13. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Looks like you got a logic board that doesn't have the serial number burned into it yet - pretty common for Apple replacement stock.

Apple Technicians and Geniuses at the Genius Bar have a piece of software that lets them burn your serial number into the board. Apple controls this software heavily so you can only get it if you are an authorized technician. It can only be done once and they use the same one your computer had before to keep things consistent between what is on the bottom of the case and what the computer shows.

14. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I had a new LB in mine but it shows the old serial number as normal.
    I also had a new screen which shows some odd type numbers (A00F) which is odd.
    So I suppose it can happen.

15. Nasty275ss thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thats kool to know that they can do it if I ever want to do it, my only concern is that I upgraded from a 2.6ghz to a 2.7ghz board which would change the model number, they both had 16GB of RAM, again, NO HUGE DEAL, but just a thought. It was a MC976LL/A and now Im not sure what model it is, Im assuming it would be an ME665LL/A or whether it would still be considered 676LL/A, Im just happy it works again, I could care less what model it is really, just thinking out loud. haha

16. dabbler macrumors member

You can infact change the serial yourself. It's stored in flash and you need to use the apple service util to set it.

I won't post it as it's copyrighted, but have a search of the net and you'll be good to go. I've done it in the past with no issues.

Good luck!