Carrier Brand New Sprint iPhone already Activated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Dec 25, 2015.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I purchased a new iPhone5 off of eBay. The photo shows it running iOS6.1.3 and although it is a Sprint iPhone, the price was excellent.
    It arrived, open box like the seller stated, with the plastic still attached, front and back. Other than being removed from the box, the iPhone is brand new.

I went ahead and register with Apple, without issue. I plugged it into iTunes and set it up as a new iPhone.
    I signed on with my iCloud ID and was set to take it in after the holidays to Sprint and get a cheap line of service installed.

Surprisingly, I noticed the LTE in the upper left on the home screen and sure enough, the iPhone is completed activated already. I can send and receive iMessages and phone calls. the internet works flawlessly, as it should for an activated line.

I did a little research and see the line was corporately activated back in May of 2013 and probably, simply never used. In checking the EMEI it comes back as 'activated' without issue.

So, here is my concern. It appears this iPhone has never been registered before me and never used. Why corporate (based out of New York City) would continue to pay this bill is perplexing to me.

I'm tempted to take it into Sprint but afraid somehow that will jack up what is now happening.
    My question: If this iPhone is simply used and the bill suddenly not paid- is there a warning that is sent via text message first before service is cut off?
    Also, if this iPhone is registered to me can another entity blacklist this line?
    What can I do to protect myself from having this iPhone becoming useless?

I have no problem paying for this line, I just don't want to do anything that could trigger it getting locked before figuring out how to go about that.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The chances that the phone has been long since paid off are pretty good, especially if the corporate people just kept paying the bill.

You probably ended up with some employee's phone that they never used (but that was activated).

Here's my advice. Go to a Sprint store and ask for a new iPhone 5 SIM card. Here is the part number in case they give you any hassle: SIMGLW406R.

Start your service (they will put the IMEI on your account) and swap the SIMs. Sprint's site has a tool to put in the SIM card serial number with the IMEI of the phone. Or you can call and ask for a simple ESN swap.

You should be good. If the IMEI was blacklisted you'd know by this point. It's been over three years. You would not have been able to do what you did if it was blacklisted.

You must have the correct SIM however. The part number for the SIM for the 4s and 5 is different than the part number for the 5c and above. They are not interchangeable.

Good luck!

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Who's line is it?
    What corporate line?
    Did anyone try to call the phone number like maybe the real owner looking for his phone?
    Sounds like something is not right with this device with the excellent price. People don't usually sell phones with service included and continue to pay the bill while you get free calling, texts and data.
    Find out what customer the phone number belongs to and see what is going on. If the device is lost or stolen it could get blacklisted so act fast to figure out the real deal in case you need to file a claim with ebay/paypal for a refund.

4. braddick, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks for the info. Especially about the swapping of SIM cards at a Sprint store.
    From what I can tell: The phone was corporately activated although never registered nor used (at all). Still had the original plastic on both sides.

In the iPhone's history there is no evidence of a text or phone call being place or received.

The seller, with lots of feedback, probably received this iPhone and like many other devices he sells, took a couple of photos of it along with the box (matches) and listed it. The seller has flawless feedback- not an easy task when you sell electronics on eBay.

I did a check of the IMEI and all I could do and this one shows up hassle free, activated and now registered, to me with Apple and iCloud.

I'll follow the advice given.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. craniumbox macrumors newbie

I have the exact same thing but through t-mobile. It's crazy.

6. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

No matter what- the iPhone is not new if it's open box (or bought on eBay). No matter how much positive feedback or how good the seller seems to be. Never ever trust eBay.

Hundreds (if not thousands) of topics here start with the horrible line "I bought an iPhone on eBay..." It amazes me after all these years people still fall for scams on that site!

7. tuukka87 macrumors regular

tuukka87

So wrong, I have bought and sold iphones on ebay for 5+ years. Never had a issue. NEVER.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Consider yourself very very lucky.
    I and most people with eBay iPhone sales had many bad experiences with both buyers and sellers.
    eBay has become scam central when it comes to iPhone sales.