Brand new TB iMac Flickering

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cavok SA, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Cavok SA macrumors newbie

Just wanted to post to see if anyone has been having flickering problems with their new Thunderbolt iMacs? Mine is a 21.5, 2.7GHZ, 6770M, 1TB, Standard config model.

I just got the computer and after about a week of use the screen is flickering so bad at times it's unusable. I'm pretty sure it's a heat related issue, I have installed SMC fan control and pointed the cold air from the A/C at it and it seems to fix the problem temporarily. I have watched the temps on iStat and I can't figure out which component it is although from past experience it seems it's video card related, although the memory controller seems to be the hottest when it starts to flicker.

I plugged an external monitor into it while its flickering and the external monitor doesn't flicker so again that leads me to believe it's not video card related. I'm not really sure.

Anyway I'm gonna call APL CARE today and see what they have to say...Which I'm sure will be "Bring it into an Apple Store," which would be fine except for I'm in Saudi Arabia =(

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Mail it back before your 14 days expires. You bought an expensive computer, the screen shouldn't flicker.

3. ecstacy2012 macrumors member

yes more then a few have had this problem. I believe there is an update to download that is suppose to help this it's also called black outs, flashing etc...