Brand new to iPhone - dumb question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicholecata94, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Nicholecata94 macrumors member

I bought my first iPhone last night, the iPhone 7 plus. It's a beauty. I see now what I have been missing.
    I have since decided that I am going to go for the iPhone 8 plus instead, since it's just a little bit more and theoretically will last longer. It's already on its way!
    My question is now that I have set everything up on the 7 plus just the way I like it, when I get the iPhone 8 plus next week will it just have everything exactly as I have it now once I sign into iCloud? I am not sure how that works.
    With Android whenever I got a new phone I had to go through the painful procedure of re downloading all my apps, getting the settings back to how I want them, etc. From what I understand this is easier on iPhone but I am not sure if there is something I need to do first to make sure it saves everything.

2. jenag145 macrumors regular

3. jenag145 macrumors regular

Once you back up you should be good. Then when you get your new phone go to the set up through iTunes and hit restore and it'll go to the latest back up

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Go to iCloud settings on your iPhone 7 and make sure it's been backed up to iCloud at least once. Then on your new iPhone 8, initial process will ask you if you would like to restore from iCloud, choose YES.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Do an iTunes backup (make sure to tick the encrypted box option) of your iPhone 7 plus. You can also do an iCloud backup by going to Settings > tap your name at the top > iCloud >scroll down to iCloud backup option (make sure the toggle is turn on) and then tap on "backup now".

6. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

Why so uneasy? Just hold your iPhone 7 Plus next to your iPhone 8 (Plus) and you’ll be able to switch over everything to the iPhone Quick Start.

7. Nicholecata94 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies!
    I found the setting and checked and iCloud backup was already checked! It looks like it already automatically backed up last night and I will make sure to do it again before switching phones!
    How convenient!

8. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I'm not a fanboy but I've never used android. Is there really no way to save a profile or something and get all your apps back automatically?

9. Nicholecata94 thread starter macrumors member

Not as far as I know, and I have had Samsung, HTC, and my latest was the Pixel.
    Anytime you switch phones, or re-start it from factory settings, you sign in with your google account, but then you have to go to the app store and find the apps you had, redo all of the settings you had, etc.

The only backup I ever found was if you installed Nova Launcher, but even then it only would backup the placement of your apps on the homescreen and not the apps themselves.