brand new to macbook,router question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sweetbabyg, Oct 11, 2008.

1. sweetbabyg macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have been converted to mac, bought a macbook and am curious if I need a desktop to connect a wireless router or can I set it up on my macbook? I have linksys N broadband router and a 2wire gateway I have through my internet provider.
    Thank you

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

No you don't need a desktop but you will probably need an ethernet cable. Wireless tends to be switched off by default.

Has the router been set-up and used previously or is everything new ??

3. sweetbabyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your response.
    The router is new, although I did attempt to set it up on my desktop last night...couldn't figure it out!
    My thought today was I should be able to connect the router to the gateway my internet provider gave me...thing is I am really a newbie when it comes to stuff like this... future shop said they have a guy to come set it up for me but it's $150.00 so I figured I give it a try

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Happy to help but what is a 2 wire gateway - is it a broadband modem thing ?

Is anything set-up yet - does your desktop connect ok to the 2 wire gateway - do you have an internet connection on the desktop ?

5. sweetbabyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, this is what I have... I've been using it on my desktop and it works fine, I'm using it on the macbook right now(the cable connected to my macbook)
    Wireless gateway device† (includes a High Speed modem, 4 port router, 802.11 b/g wireless access point and firewall). Power adapter included.
    Integrates a wireless access point, 4 port router, and high speed modem.
    Includes a built-in hardware firewall, which helps block hackers and other security intrusions.
    http://www.telus.com/portalWeb/Upload/Website/Illustration/hsrouter.jpeg

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If that is the wireless router you are using then you have done the difficult bit - log back into the router (192.168.1.1 ?) enter the password and click on the wireless tab - choose whatever security you want to set and save the changes (probably) - pull the ethernet cable out of the MacBook - turn on the Airport Card and it should pick up your router.

Should be very simple !!

7. sweetbabyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help Logana, I am now wireless:D

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Was it difficult ?

Was it worth paying someone $150 ??

Happy to help !!

9. sweetbabyg thread starter macrumors newbie

It was this simple...I don't need the linksys router at all
    It took less than 5 mins. It would not be worth paying $150 ever...there is a phone # to call for support with lynksys, apparently they are very good at walking you through it( I found this out after I attempted on my own)