Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetbabyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hi,
I have been converted to mac, bought a macbook and am curious if I need a desktop to connect a wireless router or can I set it up on my macbook? I have linksys N broadband router and a 2wire gateway I have through my internet provider.
Thank you

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
No you don't need a desktop but you will probably need an ethernet cable. Wireless tends to be switched off by default.

Has the router been set-up and used previously or is everything new ??

sweetbabyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hi, thanks for your response.
The router is new, although I did attempt to set it up on my desktop last night...couldn't figure it out!
My thought today was I should be able to connect the router to the gateway my internet provider gave me...thing is I am really a newbie when it comes to stuff like this... future shop said they have a guy to come set it up for me but it's $150.00 so I figured I give it a try

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Happy to help but what is a 2 wire gateway - is it a broadband modem thing ?

Is anything set-up yet - does your desktop connect ok to the 2 wire gateway - do you have an internet connection on the desktop ?

sweetbabyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hi, this is what I have... I've been using it on my desktop and it works fine, I'm using it on the macbook right now(the cable connected to my macbook)
Wireless gateway device† (includes a High Speed modem, 4 port router, 802.11 b/g wireless access point and firewall). Power adapter included.
Integrates a wireless access point, 4 port router, and high speed modem.
Includes a built-in hardware firewall, which helps block hackers and other security intrusions.
http://www.telus.com/portalWeb/Upload/Website/Illustration/hsrouter.jpeg

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
If that is the wireless router you are using then you have done the difficult bit - log back into the router (192.168.1.1 ?) enter the password and click on the wireless tab - choose whatever security you want to set and save the changes (probably) - pull the ethernet cable out of the MacBook - turn on the Airport Card and it should pick up your router.

Should be very simple !!

sweetbabyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Victoria, B.C. Canada
If that is the wireless router you are using then you have done the difficult bit - log back into the router (192.168.1.1 ?) enter the password and click on the wireless tab - choose whatever security you want to set and save the changes (probably) - pull the ethernet cable out of the MacBook - turn on the Airport Card and it should pick up your router.

Should be very simple !!
It was this simple...I don't need the linksys router at all
It took less than 5 mins. It would not be worth paying $150 ever...there is a phone # to call for support with lynksys, apparently they are very good at walking you through it( I found this out after I attempted on my own)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.