Brand new uMBP 15" freezes randomly..help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omizzle, Aug 11, 2009.

1. omizzle macrumors regular

Hi all,

I just got my brand new uMBP 15" 2.53 ghz about 24 hours ago. Unfortunately, I am running to a very annoying issue already.

Randomly, my computer will freeze (the beach ball starts spinning and my music stops) for 5-10 seconds randomly. Since I started using my computer about 20 minutes ago, it has already happened 2 or 3 times.

The last time it happened, I put my ear right above the HD to see if that could possibly be the perpitrator. When it unfroze, I heard the head move (or some sound from the HD).

Anyway, has anyone ever of heard this issue before? I have been thinking about upgrading my HD to a 500GB, so this may just spur that decision along.

Here is what was running when it happened: Unison (usenet program), itunes, safari, and pokerstars.

Advice?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You got it less than 24 hours ago and it's doing that?!

Sorry to hear, that's not the type of welcome to a new Mac you should be getting. I'd return it to get it swapped out for another.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

There are a number of posters here with what sounds like the same issue. Apple has announced they are working on a software update which may fix it. Apparently, this has to do with the shock protection that is built into the laptop which conflicts with shock protection included on the hard drive itself. At first, it was thought to only affect those with the 7200rpm Seagate 500GB drives, but it turns out that people report the same issue on multiple kinds of drives.

Since you just bought it--take it back. There is no reason to put up with that from a brand new computer.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

As everyone has already stated. You are in the 14-day return period with apple. Take it back for a replacement. :)

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

There appear to be (at least) two seperate issues of which only one has been semi-officially acknowledged. The other: Not so much...

6. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, cool.

I got it online, I am able to return it to an Apple Store, right? Once I move up to school, I am only about 45 min away from one, so that would be my preference.

Also, will they be able to help me transfer my files? Or should I try and get a backup before I return it?

edit: The drive that is causing the problem is a 250gb 5400rpm drive. According to system profiler, its a hitachi

7. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

Also, because I'm within my return window, they wont try and repair it for me will they?

If I take it to the Apple store, I just want to exchange it (no restocking, please) with a brand new one, not send it off for repair