Brand New Unibody MBP for $1545

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by codyst, Nov 23, 2008.

1. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280287465112

$200 Live.com Cashback
    $100 from the 10% Coupon (Which I received via email)

After that $300 in savings it comes out to $1545, seems pretty good considering they retail for $1999 before tax which is another $165 for a total of $2164.

A grand total of $619 in savings.

The seller is a PowerSeller so it can be assumed he can be trusted. And if you look at his feedback there have been a LOT of people buying MacBook's from him and leaving positive feedback.

My question is this: Would I run into any problems down the road concerning Warranty or adding AppleCare? Or any other unforseen problems I might encounter? This would be my first Mac so I am not sure of what all might go wrong.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Nope. You can get the serial number of the computer, plug it into the apple support site, and if there's no receipt, they'll use the manufacturing date. You'll also be able to buy applecare for one year from that date. If the seller is apple authorized to sell these things, he can provide you with a receipt with the serial number.

Let's say there's a defect with the machine. Without a receipt, you will be hard pressed to exchange it at an applestore for a replacement for the first two weeks. Otherwise, unless a genius takes pity on you, you'll have to send it in and get it repaired.

Good luck, it sounds like a good price.

3. ARK macrumors 6502

4. Eric. macrumors regular

If this is the same 10% off coupon I received not too long ago, its only valid on items up to $100 if I'm remembering it right.

5. codyst thread starter macrumors regular

codyst

It's 10% off anything (with a savings of up to $100) so yes, $100 off.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    If the deal sounds almost too good to be true, then it probably is NOT a good deal. How does this guy do it, making these great deals? Did the machine possibly "fall off the back of a truck?" With eBay, you really don't know what the truth is. If this is your first Mac, why not do yourself a favor and buy your machine at the Apple store, all straightforward and aboveboard, without having to worry about possible glitches further down the road? Yes, it will cost you more money but in the long run, isn't your peace of mind worth something, too?

7. codyst thread starter macrumors regular

codyst

All valid points but it doesn't seem "too good to be true". There are multiple ways to get Mac's with no tax. Might be overstocked which would cause the $150 discount. I am not too skeptical about not receiving it or it not working, just look at his feedback with all of the other Macs he has sold. I was merely questioning how the whole Warranty process and what not works. But thank you for those tips!

8. motownflip macrumors regular

9. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

dude you are fine. the seller is a power seller. these people are just jealous because they didn't score a great deal!

10. codyst thread starter macrumors regular

codyst

Yeah, when I made this thread I wasn't worried about the legitimacy of it, but rather other details like I stated.

11. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

and you'll have no problems whatsoever with warranty. they search by serial number and go accordingly

12. kba macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been asked before (I can delete my post), but how did you get the 10% coupon by email?

13. codyst thread starter macrumors regular

codyst

Randomly sent by eBay.

14. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Who's the guy you're buying off of? I'm looking for Apple Care at the moment. Thanks. :D

15. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Nice, but eBay isn't the best place to buy things, in my opinion.

16. codyst thread starter macrumors regular

codyst

Then what is?

17. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

certainly your opinion. millions and millions of other people have different ones. don't be paranoid