Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afterall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
hi guys, i just bought my first mac ever, a powerbook 15", been playing around for the last 2 days, kindda get used to it now but there are some little things i can't, someone please help?

1. how to import bookmark from PC?
2. how to hide the file extension?
3. what is the equivelent buttum with "delete" from PC?
4. you can use 'backspace' to go to the previous page in PC, what about mac?
5. what's a good anti virus to use?
6. how to unlock the locked file? how to delete locked file in the trash?
7. this annoys me the most, how do you sort the files in column view?

and what is file .sit? i couldnt install my adsl modem driver cause i only can get the driver in .sit file from the modem's website (im using billion 7000)

please help, highly appreciate, thanks a lot.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
afterall said:
1. how to import bookmark from PC?
Someone with a PC will need to help you with this. My best guess is using Firefox as the "middleman" between the OSs
2. how to hide the file extension?
Switch to Finder; Click on Finder (in the upper left corner of your screen); Select Preferences...; Select the Advanced tab; Uncheck "Show all file extensions".
3. what is the equivelent buttum with "delete" from PC?
There are 2 delete keys on a Mac, the "backspace" delete, and the "frontspace" (?) delete. On a desktop, the "frontspace" delete is below the help keys (above the left arrow). On a notebook, I believe it's still fn-delete.
4. you can use 'backspace' to go to the previous page in PC, what about mac?
Delete. Or command(apple)-left bracket for back; command(apple)-right bracket for forward.
5. what's a good anti virus to use?
Mac OS X
6. how to unlock the locked file? how to delete locked file in the trash?
ctrl-click file; Select Get Info; In the General: section, check/uncheck the Locked box.
7. this annoys me the most, how do you sort the files in column view?
Can't, it's always alphabetical. List view is the only one that can be sorted.
and what is file .sit? i couldnt install my adsl modem driver cause i only can get the driver in .sit file from the modem's website (im using billion 7000)
Download Stuffit Expander for Mac: http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/index.html

afterall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
thanks a lot. that is great help.

just 2 more questions, what is the driver file extension? cause after i use stuffit to decompress the sit file i got a bunch of weird files i dont know what is what anymore. and the locked files, i can only unlock the file with a little lock on the icon, but some files has a red stop sign, is there anyway to remove those?

again, thanks for the help.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
afterall said:
thanks a lot. that is great help.

just 2 more questions, what is the driver file extension? cause after i use stuffit to decompress the sit file i got a bunch of weird files i dont know what is what anymore. and the locked files, i can only unlock the file with a little lock on the icon, but some files has a red stop sign, is there anyway to remove those?

again, thanks for the help.
Don't be moving renaming ordeleting any files if you don't know what they are.

By and large, you don't have to locate and install any driver or system level files . With a few exceptions only, drivers and device installers will come with a Package file that you simply double click and it installs. Many application installers are even easier -- you just drag the application from the CD or disk image, into your Applications folder on the hard drive. That's it. Please do read the ReadMe files before you start applying your Windows experience to the Mac... often times things are much simpler than you think.

afterall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
thanks a lot. i tried to plug my modem (by usb port) but it doesnt automatically work, dont know how to get it work. maybe i fave to figure it out later...

thanks again. cheers

timmac

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2006
Hattiesburg, MS
Try to find the book "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue. It's great for switchers and really helped to lower the learning curve for me. Most of your questions seem to be already answered, though.

As for the anti-virus, don't bother. There's only been one trojan/virus for OS X and it calls for you opening a file from someone you don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.