MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Brave Browser available on iPhone and iPad today gained a new Playlist feature that's designed to save audio and video content in an easy-access queue.

brave-playlist.jpg

Users can keep a list of videos, songs, podcasts, and more, and then access it from the Brave browser at any time by tapping on the Brave Playlist option from the menu in the app.

Adding any media to the Playlist is as simple as tapping on the "Add to Brave Playlist" option or long pressing on a video or audio file. Other features include an auto-play option and drag and drop tools for organizing items in the Playlist.

For podcasts, there are controls that include play/pause, playback speed, and skip forward and backward, and for videos, Apple's Picture in Picture feature is supported so users can watch videos while doing other things on their devices.

Brave Playlist supports multiple platforms, including Twitch, YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud, and more, and it is available in the free Brave for iOS app.

Article Link: Brave Browser for iOS Gains New Playlist Feature for Queueing Video and Audio Content

Reactions: eaglescream

OwlBundy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2019
Yes. Bookmarks, History, Tabs etc on Desktop and Android, Bookmarks on iOS
That's half assed sync on iOS. Firefox, safari, chrome, edge, etc. have full sync of all tabs, settings, history and can also send tabs to and from iOS. Nobody knows why Brave can't figure out sync and they don't disclose why they have issues with this and nobody else does.

Reactions: serpico007

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
That's half assed sync on iOS. Firefox, safari, chrome, edge, etc. have full sync of all tabs, settings, history and can also send tabs to and from iOS. Nobody knows why Brave can't figure out sync and they don't disclose why they have issues with this and nobody else does.
Nobody knows?

I think you are missing the whole point of the Brave browser… The intent is for your identity to be anonymous. How would you sync your information between two devices if they are completely anonymous from each other?

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
This sounds like an example of a niche company stepping outside of their niche. Like your milkman delivery service telling you one day that you can schedule oil changes through them also.
How so their long term goal is to overthrow or at least go toe to toe with Google they are working on search as well and video is too scattered around the internet to start another YouTube clone. Its better to just integrate it all into one app.

CarpalMac

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Been a Brave user for some time. Even works great and responsive on my gen 1 iPad Air than all the other browsers for iOS 12. This should be interesting. :)

Thanks, I hate that mine are so sluggish - will give it a try!

OwlBundy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2019
Nobody knows?

I think you are missing the whole point of the Brave browser… The intent is for your identity to be anonymous. How would you sync your information between two devices if they are completely anonymous from each other?
That's a fine argument if this wasn't for the fact that they have full sync everywhere except iOS.

Reactions: bparzonz

Rider3

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
That's a fine argument if this wasn't for the fact that they have full sync everywhere except iOS.
Been syncing Brave from PC to iPhone for months. Not a problem. Tried Edge and was lucky to find any of my bookmarks.

Reactions: ds2000

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
I guess this is something like Pocket or Apple's Reading List, but for videos. Not a bad idea, but it would be great to
be able to access to a video queue on Apple TV.

There are many times I'm clicking around and see some video but don't want to watch it on a tiny screen or just want to catch up on videos in general all in one go, on the big screen in my living room.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Bandaman

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2019
Yep. No idea what that rant was about. It's incredibly annoying they don't have full sync yet for iOS. I can't fully switch to Brave until it has full syncing across all devices. Sticking with Firefox until they get it sorted. I love Brave, but the syncing is garbage.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Bandaman

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2019
Been syncing Brave from PC to iPhone for months. Not a problem. Tried Edge and was lucky to find any of my bookmarks.
It syncs ... it just doesn't sync everything ... like passwords for instance. It syncs literally everything from desktop to desktop but on iOS it's quite lacking.

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Brave Browser is legit a really good browser especially on iOS , people are really overlooking it and keep using the toxic Chrome and has a built in adblocker. If you don't know Brave Browser is basically Chrome without the Google tracking code.

One thing I wonder about is how they are sustainable, their only source of income is their ad program (off by default, must opt-in) which splits ads money 3-ways between the content creator-you-and Brave. I don't think that would be enough, and who would want to watch ads any way?

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
This sounds like an example of a niche company stepping outside of their niche. Like your milkman delivery service telling you one day that you can schedule oil changes through them also.

I wouldn't say its a niche, it has a smaller user base that is growing every month, their browser is basically Chrome -the most popular browser on the internet so you are not missing any features and supported by all sites, and their CEO is Brendan Eich the inventor of JavaScript, Netscape employee, and the co-founder and xCEO of Mozilla(Firefox).

So, they really know what they are doing its not just a teenage startup hoping to change the world.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Completely free and working AdBlocker + Browser = Brave

I have this on my devices! Great feature!

stevet

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
It syncs ... it just doesn't sync everything ... like passwords for instance. It syncs literally everything from desktop to desktop but on iOS it's quite lacking.
Kind of a strange stance isn't it. The browser is built with security in mind and some of the users are using it to store their passwords, inherently making things less secure for themselves. Then wanting to sync those items to a cloud service they don't own. Seems like one step forward two steps back to me.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Can it prevent autoplay? I’d gladly buy a browser for iOS if it could prevent any and all autoplay. I don’t want or need any video or audio on a handheld browser - I’d be content if video and audio support were just killed entirely.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.