brazillion blank bookmark folders

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by akm3, Oct 16, 2011.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

My icloud sync seems to have gone crazy, on both my Mac and my iPhone I have hundreds and hundreds of bookmark folders that are blank (no name, no conents). I assume the sync is duplicating them. I can only seem to erase them one at a time and it takes >30 seconds to erase each one, it would literally take me days to fix. The iPhone can delete them faster but for all I know they are being created at an exponential rate.

Any suggestions how to fix this with one swoop?

2. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

OK, I shut off iCloud sync on both my iOS and Mac.

Then I exported my bookmarks, deleted my ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist file, and reimported the bookmarks. This time it was running 'fast' so I could nuke all the blank folders. Mac looks good.

iOS I shut off Bookmark syncing and had the option to delete the already synced data on the device. This makes the iOS device look good.

Now when I turn sync back on though, I only have an option to 'merge', what is on my computer to iCloud, *not* to REPLACE iCloud's bad gajillion folders. How do I nuke the iCloud sync data for bookmarks? MobileMe had a 'replace' option that seems to be gone from iCloud.

Help!