iPad Pro Break down USB-c?

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Im new to the USB-C plugin. Taking a look at anker, it looks like there is usb-c 2.0 , 3.0 , 3.1 , and thunderbolt? If I’m looking for a good “never have to buy again” cable for my new iPad Pro, what version of the USB-C should I be getting? It may one day be used for a display, transfer, etc...just not there yet. Would prefer a 6ft, but if there is only a 3ft, then it is what it is.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
While USB 3.1 is indeed the spec to try to get if you want transfer speed, you may not reach those speeds at 2 meters (6 feet). Limit your cable length to 1 meter (3 feet) if you are going for the fastest transfer speeds.

For charging the longer cables are nice to have, just try to get PD cables, not ones that I think it is Samsung invented (Quick Charge) as the latter is not part of the USB-C spec.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
While USB 3.1 is indeed the spec to try to get if you want transfer speed, you may not reach those speeds at 2 meters (6 feet). Limit your cable length to 1 meter (3 feet) if you are going for the fastest transfer speeds.

For charging the longer cables are nice to have, just try to get PD cables, not ones that I think it is Samsung invented (Quick Charge) as the latter is not part of the USB-C spec.
PD?

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
That’s interesting because I thought the 3.1 gen 2 standard for all practical purposes are limiting lengths to 1 meter or ~3 feet.

I suppose the cable could be used for charging but probably won’t be able to throughout data at its max specified bandwidth.
That's how I understood it as well. Lol USB-C, what a great standard.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
A tech savvy friend who just got a new iPad Pro was asking me about USB-C. I explained to him how it all works and he couldn't believe it, lol.

He wants to grab a USB-C 3.1 cable, and was surprised that Apple doesn't make one. He's grabbing an anker one from amazon instead.

Interesting though - Apple seems to just have USB-C 2.0 cables for charging, and I guess if you really wanted you could get an Apple thunderbolt 3 cable (which is pricey) and use it for USB 3.1 transfer speeds?

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
A tech savvy friend who just got a new iPad Pro was asking me about USB-C. I explained to him how it all works and he couldn't believe it, lol.

He wants to grab a USB-C 3.1 cable, and was surprised that Apple doesn't make one. He's grabbing an anker one from amazon instead.

Interesting though - Apple seems to just have USB-C 2.0 cables for charging, and I guess if you really wanted you could get an Apple thunderbolt 3 cable (which is pricey) and use it for USB 3.1 transfer speeds?
I have a Thunderbolt 3 for my MacBook Pro. I haven't used it for transferring to my iPad Pro yet, but I have used it to charge it. It's so nice to have one charger for my laptop and my tablet!

Reactions: profets and lsh