break external RAID 0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nunipok, Oct 3, 2012.

1. nunipok macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just received a new hard drive enclosure with two 2T WD HDDs.
    I was willing to set it as 2 separate hard drives for having separate back-ups (have had bad experience with RAID1 back-up).
    But when I plugged the enclosure to the laptop I must have set them as RAID0 as both drives appear as one single volume on Disk Utility.
    The enclosure is actually set in Port Multiplier, but I guess that after having formatted the drives as one, that means nothing to my MBP:cool:

Does any of you guys know what can I do?
    Both drives are still empty.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

First off, RAID 1 (or other type) is NOT a backup solution, it ensures your data is still available in the event of a drive failure. If you don't have a time-critical or mission-critical need for your data, RAID 1+ is usually unnecessary. RAID 0 is still handy in non-critical environments simply for the storage pooling and performance. But RAID systems still need to be backed up.

What brand/model is it? How are you connecting to the MBP? AFAIK you need to connect to the computer via TB or eSATA to take advantage of port multiplier feature.

3. nunipok thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's exactly why I need them separated.
    It is a:
    Hornettek Dual Bay SATA Case with removable disk trays, and RAID0, RAID1. USB3.0 and eSATA dual bay case

Right now I plug it to the MBP through USB3 (can do eSATA).

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

As I said, I don't think port multiplier works over anything but the eSATA connection. I can’t find any mention in the limited tech specs of port multiplying but it does mention a “Normal” mode for independent drives, is that what you are talking about? Have you confirmed it is set to “Normal”?

5. nunipok thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is set to normal.
    Still also with eSATA the drives appear as one volume.

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I thought you said you were connecting the unit to the computer via USB?

7. nunipok thread starter macrumors newbie

it has both connections: superspeed USB3 AND eSATA.
    I've always had it with USB3, but since you asked I tried plugging it via eSATA.

Still, I wonder since USB3 is 5Gb/s, wouldn't it be able to read both drives as the eSATA connection does when in Port Multiplier?