Breaking down available 1.1.3 JB methods

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by styylus, Jan 28, 2008.

1. styylus macrumors newbie

I thought it would be helpful to start a thread that clearly lists the available 1.1.3 jailbreak methods, and perhaps help come to the conclusion as to which is the easiest and most reliable. From scanning the major forums, it seems that there is a LOT of fragmented information concerning the various methods, and no real consensus as to the most effective route.

Thus far, I've encountered three methods:

(1) the "official Dev team" method (i.e. http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30562)

(2) the "ipodtouchmaster" method (i.e. http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31190)-- which appears to be a simplified "Dev team" version;

(3) the "iJailbreak" method (however this is only for Mac users);

I myself have held off updating to 1.1.3 because, 1, I want to wait for an updated SummerBoard, and, 2, there seems to be so much disagreement about which method really works.

Any insights are appreciated, and perhaps if anyone out there has tried multiple methods, they can report on which one seemed to work the best.

ps. I also thought I should note that it appears it's best to uninstall all third party apps before updating to 1.1.3, and then reinstalling those that are compatible with the update-- this is not immediately clear in most of the instructions I've read.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

3. styylus thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I decided to bite the bullet and attempt the "ipodtouchmaster" method, and after receiving multiple prompts that my available space was getting low-- this is coming from a clean 1.1.2 jailbreak-- and ultimately some script execution error, I let the thing finish, and it seemed to be stable with 1.1.3 after restart...the experience makes me want to try the Dev Team method next time, as I went back to 1.1.2 after realizing that SummerBoard is problematic in the new version;

4. SixersFan macrumors newbie

I had a good 1.1.2 Jailbroke iPod Touch. iBrickr on a Windows machine did not work (it only works on an iPhone).

I then tried this to jailbreak without a computer via the installer.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=422674
    This worked fine but I did not get the Apple applications

I then tried to get the apple applications activated and somehow messed up the iPod touch and had to restore everything to 1.1.3.

I'll try again from scratch tonight!!!

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

on a windows machine it doesn't work? so the two times I done it were a fluke? iBrickr granted used the iPhone firmware but it does the job of giving a jailbroken 1.1.3, it only becomes an iPhone when you mess with the plist or springboard files.

I recommend the dev teams official jailbreak worked a charm when combined with the repo from iGuy (ipodtouchmasters repo for apps wasn't workin last night will need to double check its sorted now)

6. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

can somebody tell me by upgrading to 1.1.3 and doing the subsequent jailbreak, will i lose all the apps currently in my ipod?

thanks

7. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

I got all 3 of the methods to work by first installing BSD subsytems and boss to to realocate the app folder.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

Yes, unless you move them to the media folder and then bring them back. Music, videos etc are not touched. (pun)

However, I jailbroke twice. The first time with the dev method and only deleted excess apps. Worked fine, but seemed sugglish. Did it again last night on a refreshed(restored) 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 Touch. This wipes out everything. Works great. Have all the apps, etc.

Be forwarned. Apple is trying to close the so called hole in the apps partition. It has gone from 300 megs to 280. If you jailbreak and get the 5 apps, you are left with about 9 or 10 megs. You can use BossTools to move the fonts to the media area and free up like 30 or 40 megs, or all your apps . It makes a sym link. Problem solved.

They will probably have the SDK apps load in the Media side.

9. cjd82187 macrumors member

Ive done both the ijailbreak and official dec team versions and I am currently on the dev team one. The ijailbreak is relatively quick and automated ands can be done from a clean 1.1.1 jailbreak and gives you the apps but if you look in the contents of the touch, there are still phone things wasting space. The official dec team one is a little better because it doesn't break DRM and if you payed 20 bucks for the apps like I did, you can sync them with the dev team method. It is a little more time consuming for the dev team jailbreak because you need to be at 1.1.2 jailbroken which I was not at. The dev teams version seems to be more of a real touch hack and not a modified iPhone hack for the touch.

10. styylus thread starter macrumors newbie

cjd82187: how did you go about using the Dev Team method? It seems like there are different ways...is this with the Dev Team method link I included in the original post?

11. cjd82187 macrumors member