Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Is there any particular reason you aren't evacuating if I may ask?

I will be staying with my dad and others to watch the house, some other family members have left already. We're pretty well prepared: all boarded up (all brick, recent house), 2 generators, lots of food, and lots of friends that will ride it out.

In our area, flooding isn't a concern like it is in New Orleans. Where we are, the largest threat is tornadoes.
I will be twittering as long as I have service, just check the profile.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I will be staying with my dad and others to watch the house, some other family members have left already. We're pretty well prepared: all boarded up (all brick, recent house), 2 generators, lots of food, and lots of friends that will ride it out.

In our area, flooding isn't a concern like it is in New Orleans. Where we are, the largest threat is tornadoes.

Well, good luck to you and your family.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area

Yeah, good luck. I hope nothing happens to your house and you and your family stay safe. Being from the (relative) north I haven't been in one but I bet it's the type of thing where it's a bit exciting if it's not a dangerous one but then after awhile it gets really boric once you loose power, etc. I hope you and your family remain safe.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Best of luck for all concerned

My daughter worked with Katrina relief and helped often in the gulf region
Hope you prepare for the worst and are spared it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
A couple I know from work are on holiday in Cuba at the moment. Hopefully they're OK- talk about unlucky.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I will be staying with my dad and others to watch the house

I don't wish to sound disrespectful - and I've never lived thru a Hurricane- but I've seen your Mayor telling people to get the hell out of the city - I've read of a mandatory evacuation order in St Johns.

As a result, I'm left thinking...what the hell are you thinking? What's watching the house going to do? You can't watch the winds down, or watch the flooding away. 18+ft surge over 8ft levees really doesn't bode well.

I can understand a fear of looting or some such criminal activity on your house - but unless there's a different St Johns to the one that I'm reading about in the media - the outlook is nasty, dangerously so - you're risking your own life and thus the lives of emergency workers who may have to come to your aid.

Maybe I'm missing something here - but why are you ignoring the explicit orders of your mayor and parish president?

Like I said - maybe I'm missing something - and the very best of luck to you in any case - but staying behind to 'watch' the house just seems dangerous, pointless and selfish.

Doug

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

Did you guys read his post at all, or just pick out the first line? Flooding isn't a concern in his area. In this respect, why wouldn't he stay? Additionally, it is a bit arrogant to think that people are simply stupid to stay. If it were as easy to just leave, then they would. Many do not have the money or vehicles or places to stay once they evacuate.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
They have just reported on the radio (BBC) that Bush and Cheney are flying to Texas to oversee the emergency aid and what-not. (A shame he couldn't be bothered to help three years ago, but that's by the bye.) I bet the New Orleanians feel safer already.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I guess at the end of the day, everyone has to make their own choices and decisions on such things.
Good luck Daveway and stay in touch.
I won't presume to know your reasons and situation.
If you are truly staying, then hunker down and don't take chances.

St. John's Parish location in relation to New Orleans

parish.png

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Like I said - maybe I'm missing something

Have you ever lived down here? Gone through a Hurricane?

If neither, I would say you are missing a lot to why someone is staying or their reasons for it

Always easier to have a strong view when you know very little about the actual situation

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Surf up anyone? :D

Nah seriously best of luck to anyone stuck in that, hope you make it through, and if you left I hope it's not that bad when you return.

Still I wonder if Apple will replace any systems which become one with the ocean?:D

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

If neither, I would say you are missing a lot to why someone is staying or their reasons for it

Always easier to have a strong view when you know very little about the actual situation

How about you OrleansMac, you stayin' or leavin'?
Knowing me, I would probably stay, just the way I am

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA

As I explicitly stated, several times - no. (strange that one poster criticises me for not reading an entire post ( which I infact, did ) but you clearly did not read all of mine ) Which is why - when I see someone saying "I live in St Johns and I'm staying" on a forum, 6 hrs after reading that there is a mandatory evacuation in St Johns by both it's local leader and the city mayor - I'm left asking questions as to why someone would do that. I read that the guy thinks he's out of flooding danger. But this isn't just about flooding - it's about 165mph winds - monumental rain etc.

I'm asking why someone would stay - I'm asking someone to explain the very things you say I don't understand....because I openly admit - I don't understand it. It makes no sense. To me - looking at the simple facts.

1 - There is a mandatory evacuation order
2 - Someone is ignoring it

I just want to understand why someone is doing that - they don't issue evacuation orders for fun - the issue them because that's what's best for the city, the people, the emergency services and the security and safety of everyone concerned. I want to understand the motives and justification behind ignoring a mandatory evacuation order. Why does Daveay think he knows better than the local authorities and why is he ignoring the demands.

Doug

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Gustav speeds up, earlier landfall possible
Hurricane likely to return to Category 4; Much of New Orleans clears out
gyi0055598375.h2.jpg
NEW ORLEANS - Local roads saw heavy traffic in one direction Sunday — away from New Orleans — as Hurricane Gustav sped up to a pace that could see it make landfall somewhere along the northern Gulf Coast by Monday morning.

In New Orleans, police and National Guard troops were on the streets, preparing to patrol neighborhoods for stragglers ignoring a mandatory evacuation order and to ward off looting.

Mayor Ray Nagin imposed a dawn-to-dusk curfew that was to begin Sunday at sunset, while the last bus carrying residents to safety was to leave at 3 p.m. Sunday.

LINK

Bush, Cheney to skip Republican convention
President says he'll instead monitor Hurricane Gustav from Texas
1bec821f-e52d-4371-b463-3127f79870be.hmedium.jpg
WASHINGTON - President Bush is skipping the Republican National Convention on Monday and will travel instead to Texas to meet with emergency workers and evacuees as Hurricane Gustav bears down on the Gulf Coast.

After a briefing Sunday from Federal Emergency Management Agency officials, Bush urged residents to heed local officials’ order to evacuate.

“Do not put yourselves in harm’s way or make rescue workers take unnecessary risks,” he said. “And know that the American people stand with you. We’ll face this emergency together.”

LINK

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm asking why someone would stay - I'm asking someone to explain the very things you say I don't understand....because I openly admit - I don't understand it. It makes no sense. To me - looking at the simple facts.

I don't get it either. If your life is in temporary danger in that area then aren't you best leaving until it's safe to return?

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
As I explicitly stated, several times - no. (strange that one poster criticises me for not reading an entire post ( which I infact, did ) but you clearly did not read all of mine ) Which is why - when I see someone saying "I live in St Johns and I'm staying" on a forum, 6 hrs after reading that there is a mandatory evacuation in St Johns by both it's local leader and the city mayor - I'm left asking questions as to why someone would do that. I read that the guy thinks he's out of flooding danger. But this isn't just about flooding - it's about 165mph winds - monumental rain etc.

I just want to understand why someone is doing that - they don't issue evacuation orders for fun - the issue them because that's what's best for the city, the people, the emergency services and the security and safety of everyone concerned. I want to understand the motives and justification behind ignoring a mandatory evacuation order. Why does Daveay think he knows better than the local authorities and why is he ignoring the demands.

Doug

Which is why I said

.... it is a bit arrogant to think that people are simply stupid to stay. If it were as easy to just leave, then they would. Many do not have the money or vehicles or places to stay once they evacuate.

Unlike what the media would have you think, the majority of people in NO who stay aren't doing so because of stupidity or because they know better than those in charge. An evacuation takes a vehicle, gas for said vehicle, a place to stay when one evacuates, additional food for the trip, etc...

Clearly if only looking at common sense, staying seems a strange choice. Give these people some credit and stop judging them in this way. Economics can preclude quite a few of these people from feasibly leaving.

Also don't lecture me on what all a hurricane is about. I am a Ph.D. student in meteorology and am well aware of what a hurricane entails. First, 165 is a bit overestimated. Not by much, but current models prog max wind strength at landfall to be between 110-115kts, or ~125-130mph, either way it is damn powerful. Rain is indeed an issue. Although you think I only consider flooding, the poster was intelligent enough to mention tornadoes. Tornadoes are a huge concern with hurricanes. The poster is well aware of the risks, but who are you to judge him without understanding of his circumstances? Until you have toured the Katrina devastation, let alone lived through it like these people, you really have no reason to judge any of these decisions.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
without understanding of his circumstances?

Which is why ( for the third time ) I'm asking for the circumstances to be explained.

From my perspective, from the information I have, it seems very very strange to stay put, when the authorities have issued a mandatory evacuation order. Can you not see why, to someone without all the information ( which I have said I do not have, three times now ), it seems a stupid thing to stay behind? It doesn't make any sense. Which is why ( again, for the third time ) I am asking for the information to make it make sense.

"Who are you to question..." is a moot point. Given all information available to me - my conclusion is that ignoring a mandatory evacuation order is not the sensible thing to do. I have asked - again and again - for the information that justifies staying behind.

Let's reduce this debate to it's component parts.

I'm staying behind
That's seems a strange thing to do, why?
YOU DON'T KNOW WHY HE'S STAYING BEHIND - HOW DARE YOU QUESTION IT
I'm asking why he's staying behind, so it can makes sense me.
I'm asking why he's staying behind, so it can makes sense to me.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.

I'm staying behind
That's seems a strange thing to do, why?
I'm asking why he's staying behind, so it can makes sense me.
I'm asking why he's staying behind, so it can makes sense to me.

Since you are over-exaggerating towards your own side, I will do the same

Ok, Ok, I am ready.....

I'm staying behind and taking the risk from the storm
You're an idiot for staying.
I have my reasons.
I don't care, you are a moron for staying. Don't come crying when you are hurt
I will take that risk and not everyone was like the 9th Ward during Katrina.
Again, you are an idiot. Bottom line. I am right even though I have never been to New Orleans nor ever been in a Hurricane

See how easy that was to over-exaggerate to make my argument look like the better one?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House

Ok, Ok, I am ready.....

I'm staying behind and taking the risk from the storm
I have my reasons.
I will take that risk and not everyone was like the 9th Ward during Katrina.
Again, you are an idiot. Bottom line. I am right even though I have never been to New Orleans nor ever been in a Hurricane

See how easy that was to over-exaggerate to make my argument look like the better one?

You still didn't answer his question - why so defensive?

I mean if you don't have a choice, the means or whatever, say so.

My sister is staying in Maryland because she doesn't consider her home worth her life - but that's her deal.

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, but this guy is asking...

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

Ok, Ok, I am ready.....

I'm staying behind
I have my reasons.
I will take that risk and not everyone was like the 9th Ward during Katrina

See how easy that was to overexaggerate to make my argument look like the better one?

Good call! Good luck to you as you stay.

Again to djellison, you are judging without the information. You yourself said you didn't have of the information, yet you assume. You know what they say about assuming. It is not a good argument just because the other guy hasn't given you his reasons. It is clear that you have made up your mind.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
You still didn't answer his question - why so defensive?

I mean if you don't have a choice, the means or whatever, say so.

My sister is staying in Maryland because she doesn't consider her home worth her life - but that's her deal.

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, but this guy is asking...

I am not defensive at all. I see some people calling those staying idiots and other names so I am simply responding to those comments. I think responding back "You have never been through this so it is hard to explain" is actually a quite accurate response for this situation.

Why are people staying? Their who lives are here and it is not easy to just pick up and leave even when storms of this nature are coming. I keep asking the New Orleans/Hurricane question because it deals with that question. It is comical for me to see/hear people talk about evacuations/leaving as if people just need to hop into a car and leave. It shows how utterly and completely ignorant they are of the actual situation. Whether it is their homes, possessions, and other things.

I am staying because I must for work. At the moment (and for the first time), I am on this satellite internet program that my group installed in Chicago where our temporary work station is. I appreciate Comast in Chicago for working with us.

If people don't feel that is a good enough reason for staying, so be it. Like I said above, until you are actually in the situation, you really do not have any idea what it is like to be facing such a decision of staying/going and it is far more complicated then just picking up and going.

My sister has a 5-year-old and left yesterday. Too much risk/change to take with such a small child. If I had any kids, I would be gone. But, I am by myself (family left) and willing to take any risk that may come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.