breaking news on new imacs = SSD's!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LucasLand, Sep 26, 2009.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

Apple announced that the new imacs would be including some new stuff imac users haven't seen or had before.

I just got word from my buddy in sacramento apple will offer some or all models of imac line with SSD drives only! They will take the gamble, just like when they offered macs with no floppy drives, no modems etc.

I think this will be great. I've always wanted ssd on an imac. imac line is perfect place to start this, since those drives tend to hold less, which wouldn't work for a pro user

2. Ganesha macrumors regular

Gamble? SSD are the future. I predict in 2020 the descendant of todays iMac, MacBook (Pro) will all come with SSD as the default option.

3. OceanView macrumors 65816

The questions is, can they do this at a reasonable price.
    Hope they can cause I would love to get one of these.

4. zbasarab macrumors member

lol where do you get such a date? did you just pull it out of thin air?:rolleyes:

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I really hope that they have something better than SSDs in 2020

6. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

11 years? If you can find a spinning disk storage media at all for general sale in 2020 I'll buy you a space-beer.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

2020? Heck, I'd say by 2012 we'll see nearly all computers have SSD's. In 2020 we'll have brain implants for memory. To the OP, this isn't ground breaking stuff here.

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Takes me back to when people said something similar about 2000 when it was the 1950's

9. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

They won't put SSDs on all the iMacs. Why? Because the average consumer does not know what an SSD is, and since the capacities are much smaller, they will think the computer is worse.

BUT, what they might do is include both a 60GB SSD and a HDD. OS + apps on SSD, and stuff on a nice large HDD. A SSD takes up very little space, so it shouldn't be a problem if they do it.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Would be nice if they could make these in easily-swappable places, or maybe even a RAID option? =)

11. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

You're thinking Mac Pro there buddy.

12. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Hey, there are some people out there who want better features on the iMacs, even if they are BTO on the top end 24"

13. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Yes, exactly. But because of the nature of the target audience of the iMac, those features won't be put into play.

14. zedsdead macrumors 68040

There is no way the SSD will be standard because of the lack of space versus traditional drives (which are now at 2 gigs) and the extra cost.

However, I can see them adding it as an option, which I would spring for because I have a Drobo for media, and an OWC Raid 0 for Video Editing. I would love a much faster system drive.

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well, you realize prices will go down and performance up right? If an SSD can hit 300Gb for $100-ish, I'll gladly take one over a spinning, moving, mechanical, never-know-when-its-gonna-crap-out-on-you, HDD. :D

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

2 gigs? Welcome to 1995!

You do mean 2 TB (or tets or whatever the gigs-people will call them), right? :D

17. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The same goes for SSDs at this point, you never know when the chips are going to fry.

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It'd be nice if companies educated consumers... :) It is not necessarily worse to get a 60GB SSD if its benefits are told, backed up with stats to prove things. (most usually shill some claims, which real life stats show it's bogus -- thank Microsoft for that, unfortunately...)

19. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

The rate of innovation/evolution on SSDs is extreme. They're already over 300gb, and even though the price is still high, they'll overtake spinning disks in size in a few years. Price will then come down as people start buying them and mass production really kicks in.

Besides, even with perpendicular, physics are becoming a problem as far as expanding storage space on 3.5" spinning disks are concerned.

20. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

The real problem is that Samsung SSDs offered by Apple, Dell, Lenovo, ecc. SUCK BAD (read Anandtech SSD articles).

It will ALWAYS be a better option to choose the cheapest HDD option and then buy an Intel SSD on your own.

21. 3247 macrumors regular

“When”, not “If”.

However, for the next few years, having a SSD for software and a larger harddisk for data will be the best option.

22. ventro macrumors 6502a

I've heard the reason Apple is avoiding the Intel SSDs is because it would hurt their green initiative. However the G2 Intel SSDs fix this issue and they can put them in their new products. In fact, this could be the source of the much publicized Intel G2 SSD shortage.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

2020? Yeah right. More like 2012.

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

25. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I'll take that bet. While HDDs will not be as prevalent, and may in fact be non existent. I just don't see Blu-Ray or CD's not being for general sale in 10 years.