Breaking RAID 1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jeffmc, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jeffmc macrumors 6502

I think I know what will happen but I don't want to assume things.

I have two 500gig drives in a soft mirror array in my powermac G5 for the obvious reason of backup and redundancy.

If one of these drives were to actually die, would it render the other useless or could i simply break apart the array and rebuild it?

Has this ever actually happened to anyone?

2. amik macrumors regular

In Raid 1, when one drive fails you won't lose anything. Replace it with a new drive and SoftRaid will begin rebuilding the mirrored set. I have had one drive fail in Raid 1 and SoftRaid handled it without any problem.

3. jeffmc thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome that's what i assumed!

one last question about softraid.. do you know if it has the ability to declare a hot spare?

or better yet can a raid 1 set up using disk utility be rebuilt upon a failure?

4. casw1000 macrumors member

Hi there. Hot spare is associated with raid-5, so under the current OSX, you have only raid-0 & raid-1. I am sure it doesn't have other raid levels.

HTH.
    -casw1000
    fold4life.com

5. jeffmc thread starter macrumors 6502

no you can hot spare mirrored raid sets. i found my answer, for the record you can mirror two drives in disk utility then declare a third drive a "spare"

that way if a mirrored drive goes down it automatically takes the spare as the mirror and rebuilds the array leaving you time to replace the dead drive and re-declare it as another spare on the array