Breaking the link between iCal and the computer's clock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by greenmountain, Sep 9, 2010.

1. greenmountain macrumors newbie

Is there any way to decouple iCal from the computer's clock? I find the fact that if I reset the computer's clock it 'adjusts' everything in the calendar infuriating. When I try to look back at appointments from when I lived overseas a few years ago they are completely out of whack because iCal has 'fixed' all of the times by changing them to what they would have been in ET - in some cases moving them to a different day or making it look like I was attending meetings in the middle of the night.

This problem also exists going forward. I.e. if I fill in appointments before a trip, but then change the clock while I'm on the road so that, while working, I have the correct local time on my screen, iCal 'adjusts' everything in the calendar. This is not helpful.

Yes, I know I can designate a time zone for each appointment as I create it. But, again, that just makes the appointments all look strange on my calendar before I travel. In any case, it is an extra step in creating appointments which I should not have to take.

In short: I want my appointments to show in the calendar with the time I designated and for that not to change regardless of what I do to the computer's clock.

Is this possible? (Apple tech support says it isn't).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It isn't.

3. Melanotis macrumors newbie

Melanotis

Possible Solution

As far as I know you can't separate the clock as the previous poster replied. But you may not need to.

Under the Advanced section of the iCal preferences is a setting called "Time Zone Support". If you check that box it puts a little drop down menu option in the top right of your calendar so you can change the time-view of what you are looking at without changing the clock on your computer.

I'm not sure if this quite gets to the root of your problem. But it may help.