Breaking: tropical storm Michael upgraded to a hurricane

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Now A cat 4. Winds up to 145mph. Governor Scott said this part of Florida has never experienced a hurricane like this before.

Last edited:

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Hopefully it fizzles out. Stay safe.
I'm hoping that there's some cold somewhere to stop it. But all the relatives are driving over on Friday from Jax so we can spend a nice birthday weekend in Orange Beach. So if it keeps moving east, they'll be coming out of it and we'll be good. But if it doesn't, or if it jogs west again.....

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
If it maintains that track it is going to make things much worse in the areas that are currently still trying to recover from Florence. Look for more flooding in those areas.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Here in Key West it's been a bit windy with on and off heavy rain. It looks like Michael will be passing well west of us, but we're still going to be swept by the outer bands of the system for the next 12-24hrs.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I'm hoping that there's some cold somewhere to stop it. But all the relatives are driving over on Friday from Jax so we can spend a nice birthday weekend in Orange Beach. So if it keeps moving east, they'll be coming out of it and we'll be good. But if it doesn't, or if it jogs west again.....
And here I am sulking because here in Minnesota it’s been about a week now with no sun. Cool, cloudy conditions and been raining the past 3 days straight. :oops:

Reactions: AlliFlowers

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
It's up to a Cat 3 now and the Carolina's look like they're going to get another 10" of rain on top of the flooding that they recently have experienced. Michael could strengthen to a 4 before it hits, according to weather people.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Latest update is now 145mph. Scary thing is the national hurricane center says it could strengthen further before landfall. CNN weather guy crossing his fingers hoping there might be an eye wall replacement as the storm goes through shallower water.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I wasn't hoping for a "more populous area." I really wanted just east of P'cola. Not much there.
Except Panama City. Destin, and the rest of the Emerald Coast. Plus, those in souther Georgia who would be affected. This is a monster and being concerned for your selfish reasons and vacation time is very cold.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Except Panama City. Destin, and the rest of the Emerald Coast. Plus, those in souther Georgia who would be affected. This is a monster and being concerned for your selfish reasons and vacation time is very cold.
I'm sorry you don't understand that everything west of Panama City is populous. Why are you taking this so out of control?

I served during Katrina and lost my roof. Don't lecture me on hurricanes.

Meanwhile, our brand new school superintendent cancelled school today. Why? Who knows.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
150mph winds now. Pressure dropped to 923mb. This storm is crazy.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It rapidly strengthened right until landfall. I heard 60,000 in low lying areas didn’t evacuate. Hope they’re safe, a lot of them couldn’t afford to even evacuate.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
It rapidly strengthened right until landfall. I heard 60,000 in low lying areas didn’t evacuate. Hope they’re safe, a lot of them couldn’t afford to even evacuate.
There are always a lot who stay. They all have different reasons. Our hotels and trailer parks are full of people who did leave. Fortunately, it moved fast, so they'll all be able to get home soon. Lots of damage though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.