Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Funny story, and some info. Sorry if it's been made clear already.

I was at the mall yesterday and I wanted to talk to a representative at an AT&T booth about keeping my phone number when switching over from my current provider, which happens to be T-Mobile. On the way to the booth, I had to pass a T-Mobile kiosk. Trying not to make eye contact with the vultures, I walk past. "Ey, ey," one of them grunts at me in their wigger-speak.
I've already got T-Mobile, I say.
"What kinda phone you got?" he asks.
I tell him that I'm canceling in a few weeks.
"Aw, aw, how come?"
iPhone.
"Lemme ask you this. How come you want a iPhone?"
How quaint. A 30 year old confused about his identity, working on commission at a mall kiosk, about to make his move.
Safari, I say. It's Apple, I like the touch screen, the iPod, maps, the software.
"Aw, aw, well lemme show you dis."
He pulls out a pamphlet for a "smart" phone. One of those self proclaimed 3rd generation sideways phones. It's got a keyboard.
I don't want an actual keyboard, I say.
"Aw, well you can throw a keyboard up on the screen."
I tell him, no, I want the iPhone software. I want OS X.
Now here's the kick in the balls. He tells me it runs the iPhone software.
No it doesn't, I say. We all know it doesn't.
It runs OS X, I ask?
"Aw, yeah." I call BS.
"Naw, naw, naw, lemme git my guy over here. Lookit dis."
By now, he's wasted enough of my time and I start to walk away.
"Naw, naw, lookit. You don't want a iPhone."
I tell him my T-Mobile service sucks (which it does) and head over to AT&T. He says have fun because T-Mobile and Cingular are the same network. (Can anyone confim?) I hear name calling coming from behind me.

I'd be pissed if I were him, too.

Now here comes the happy part. Over at the AT&T booth I talk to the sweetest, most helpful young woman. I ask her about my concerns of keeping my number. She tells me, "Do NOT cancel with your old service. On the 29th, get your iPhone, call AT&T and give them your old service's account info and phone number. They'll break up with your old service for you."
Sweet. You get to cheat on your old phone and you avoid that awkward
conversation where you dump them.
She also told me, as far as she knows, the current data/phone plans will apply to the iPhone. There's about a $30 activation fee, then your monthly data/phone bill will be about $55, or $50 each if you have a significant other who's also signing up on the same bill. We'll see how that goes on the 29th.

If anyone else has had a similar bitter-sweet experience, do tell.
Save the world. Destroy a wigger.

iSaint

macrumors 603
I never talk to other phone reps. Glad you had a good experience with your AT&T rep, though. I hope she's telling the truth about data plans. Your story sounds more legit than most.

One thing: tell me you're exaggerating the TMobile rep's accent... :p

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
That's classic.

I can't wait to switch. I have Alltel (america's largest network my....). I literally feel like I'm in one of those commercials about dropped calls every single time I have a conversation. Plus, it took them about a year to figure out why my voicemail notification wasn't working. Let me tell you, it was awesome...my phone wouldn't ring because I didn't have a signal, then someone would leave me a voicemail, but I wouldn't know because it didn't notify me. I loved checking my messages randomly after a missed call and finding messages that were a week old. I might as well have been using untrained carrier pigeons.

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
T-Mobile does indeed use the same network at AT&T. The two companies have roaming agreements, so if your service sucks with T-Mobile, guess what? It's going to suck with AT&T as well. Not much you can do about it, unless the poor reception was caused by your phone and not the network. Unfortunately, nobody knows how good the reception on the iPhone is.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
T-Mobile does indeed use the same network at AT&T. The two companies have roaming agreements, so if your service sucks with T-Mobile, guess what? It's going to suck with AT&T as well. Not much you can do about it, unless the poor reception was caused by your phone and not the network. Unfortunately, nobody knows how good the reception on the iPhone is.

not true. T-Mobile has their own network. It's just the same technology (GSM). Completely separate networks. They have roaming agreements in some areas (mainly rural areas where t-mobile doesn't bother), but they own and operate 2 different networks.

That said, I had Cingular and they were terrible. Have fun with your dropped calls. I have T-Mobile now and they're awesome.

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
not true. T-Mobile has their own network. It's just the same technology (GSM). Completely separate networks. They have roaming agreements in some areas (mainly rural areas where t-mobile doesn't bother), but they own and operate 2 different networks.

That said, I had Cingular and they were terrible. Have fun with your dropped calls. I have T-Mobile now and they're awesome.

The roaming agreement applies everywhere, as far as I know. This means that no matter where you are, you can access both AT&T and T-Mobile's networks. Yes, they're technically different networks that are individually owned and operated, but you get access to the same towers whether you sign up with AT&T or T-Mobile.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007

That's great, friend. I have T-Mobile now and they're terrible (in certain areas, such as my house or at school). I'm sure it's all relative to your location. But I will, nevertheless try to "have fun" with my iPhone.

About that coverage though:
AT&T Mobility has 62 million subscribers as of 2007, and operates the largest digital voice and data network in the United States.

That's nice, but not being a little girl, I don't chat on the phone much. What I'm interested in are the phone's Wi-Fi capabilities, and since I have access to a Wi-Fi network at home, work, school, and many of my favorite places in between, it's all gravy. If my voice coverage stays the same, so be it.

Jayrod

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Arizona
I hope AT&T doesn't have a good memory because I broke up with them about 7 months ago to go with Verizon. Now that the iPhone is coming out, I will be crawling back to AT&T. Now I'm going to be the pathetic boyfriend who came running back for forgiveness in the relationship. :(

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The roaming agreement applies everywhere, as far as I know. This means that no matter where you are, you can access both AT&T and T-Mobile's networks. Yes, they're technically different networks that are individually owned and operated, but you get access to the same towers whether you sign up with AT&T or T-Mobile.

No, wrong. I can't get onto AT&T's network (not that I'd want to) and when I had Cingular, I couldn't get onto T-Mobile's network (I really did want to). Completely false.

The roaming agreement only applies in areas where T-Mobile doesn't have native coverage and AT&T does or vice versa.

Technically, the legalese in their agreement states that the roaming agreement does cover the entire USA. But T-Mobile's system must still approve any T-Mobile user who tries to roam onto AT&T's (or another provider's) network. If I try to get onto AT&T, it will tell T-Mobile "Hey, this guy is trying to get onto a tower located in Bumf**k, Missouri. Cancel or allow? (f'in Vista...heh :D)." T-Mobile then checks its database to see if they have native coverage in Bumf**k, MO, and if they do, they tell AT&T to tell me to piss off. If they don't, they tell AT&T to allow me onto the network. This allows T-Mobile with the flip of a switch to improve coverage and increase the number of towers in case of emergencies. They did this after Katrina. Since Cingular and T-Mobile's infrastructure and towers down there were damaged, they worked together to increase the number of available towers to their customers until stuff got repaired. T-Mobile allowed roaming on all Cingular towers in the gulf, and I imagine Cingular did the same.

The same authentication works with international roaming too. They have a roaming agreement, with say Vodafone for all of the UK, but if I head over there and try to roam, Vodafone asks T-Mobile if I can roam or not. T-Mobile will check to see if I have international roaming on my account, and if I do, great, if not, Vodafone won't let me on.

But to say that you can actually roam on each other's networks anywhere in the country. The only thing the networks have in common is they both use GSM.

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Yeah I have T-Mobile, and when I'm in the bowels of my school my T-mobile service breaks out and all of a sudden I have cingular. They do kinda share, but that's the way GSM works anyway.

Sharing is nice.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Isn't there some kind of termination fee? Or if you let AT&T handle it, they can waive because they really want you on the their network?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yeah I have T-Mobile, and when I'm in the bowels of my school my T-mobile service breaks out and all of a sudden I have cingular. They do kinda share, but that's the way GSM works anyway.

Sharing is nice.

Were you actually able to make calls on Cingular? It might've been on there for 911 calls only. Depending on how your phone works, it might say something like "emergency calls only" or it might actually show the carrier you're on

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
the t-mo rep is right, you'd want a KB.

yep, t-mo and cingular roam on each other, or at least used to. the difference is that cingular will terminate its customers if they roam "too much."

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Were you actually able to make calls on Cingular? It might've been on there for 911 calls only. Depending on how your phone works, it might say something like "emergency calls only" or it might actually show the carrier you're on

I can actually make calls when it switches to Cingular (doesn't say AT:apple: T yet). I just can't check voicemail unless I just dial my own phone number from my phone.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am rather disgusted with cell phone reps and stores, but my T-Mobile experience was a lot different from yours, maybe it's because I stayed away from the kiosk and went right to the store downtown. The service I am getting is good, and frankly I am kind of bummed that I will be ditching T-Mobile. But fir only $6 more a month to get a data plan, thats cool. I sure hope what the rep told you about taking care of canceling for you is true as I hate ending services, I just don't like being hustled and thats when they really do it.

The idea that the T-Mobile rep though you would be naive enough to think If you got a sideKick you would be able to run OS X is hilarious. I noticed when I went to pay my bill that they were trying to get people to stay with them by giving them a SideKick for $99. Like that phone is anywhere near what the iPhone will do.

2 weeks can just not go by fast enough.:(

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Isn't there some kind of termination fee? Or if you let AT&T handle it, they can waive because they really want you on the their network?

If you're not out of contract, yes, there is a fee. I've heard of promotions where your new provider will pay that fee if you sign a contract with them, but AT&T is not doing this (not in my area, at least).
The way they get you back into contract after it expires is by giving you a new phone with a great discount. After mine ran out last year, I just kept my crappy phone in hopes that the iPhone would be revealed soon (and hallelujah, it was), so I'm fine.
My girlfriend isn't so lucky. T-Mobile's early termination fee is $200. She's either going to have to cough up the cash, or wait it out. She doesn't want to wait. The only glimmer of hope comes in the fact that starting this month, T-Mobile has raised their texting fees from 10 to 15 cents per text. In their contract (see: http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?PAsset=Ftr_Ftr_TermsAndConditions&print=true ) it states that if they change any fees on you, it could void your contract for a window of time and you can get out. The thing is, you'd have to completely cancel your service which means that you'd have to sign up for AT&T first before the 29th, depending on the span of time that this window is open. That raises the concern of having to buy a phone to use for just 2-3 weeks. I suppose that starting a new contract twice in one month wouldn't be much of an issue, since I believe that there's only a one-time new member sign up fee. We asked a rep in the T-Mobile store at the mall (much more helpful than the kiosk wiggers) and he did confirm the rate increase, however, he wasn't able to tell us if it actually does void the contract. He suggested that we call the main service number for assistance, but we haven't done that yet.

nyctravis

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
San Francisco, CA
The only glimmer of hope comes in the fact that starting this month, T-Mobile has raised their texting fees from 10 to 15 cents per text. In their contract (see: http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?PAsset=Ftr_Ftr_TermsAndConditions&print=true ) it states that if they change any fees on you, it could void your contract for a window of time and you can get out.

I have t-mobile and was thinking this could be a good way out of my contract. But they only allow you 14 days to cancel-do you know when the new text messaging charge was enacted? Was it more than 14 days ago? I suppose I could live with a new number if it saved me $200....

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
I have t-mobile and was thinking this could be a good way out of my contract. But they only allow you 14 days to cancel-do you know when the new text messaging charge was enacted? Was it more than 14 days ago? I suppose I could live with a new number if it saved me $200....

This is where it all gets blurry... The contract says 14 days after they've given you notice. With our last bill, we did not receive a notice and it was still at 10 cents. I believe that the change officially occurred on the 1st, but since they did not send an official notice, the 14 days might start when you get your next bill with the higher rates, or perhaps starting on the date that the bill was created.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
No, wrong. I can't get onto AT&T's network (not that I'd want to) and when I had Cingular, I couldn't get onto T-Mobile's network (I really did want to). Completely false.

You're incredibly incorrect, and really shouldn't post with such authority.

Most Nationwide plans from Cingular and T-Mobile allow for unlimited roaming. This means if you're a Cingular customer, you can choose to use T-Mobile's towers anytime you want. Conversely, you can do the same as a T-Mobile subscriber.

The difference in carrier signal is simply this: If you're a Cingular customer, Cingular towers are priority. The only way it will auto-jump to a T-Mobile tower is if you have NO signal at all. So if you have a crappy fading in/out signal, you're not going to get the full bar T-Mobile service if it's available.

Most phones support "roaming only" mode that allows you to lock yourself to another carrier. Simply activate that and you're set on the other person's network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.