Breathed some new life into my mid-2009 MBP. I <3 SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TahoeDust, May 26, 2013.

1. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

Bought this machine 4 years ago. 2.53GHz 13" MBP. Immediately upgraded to 8gb of 1066 ram and a 500gb 7200rpm drive. It always ran great, but lately it was starting to feel a sluggish especially compared to my Windows desktop running a two disk Riad 0 Sata III SSD setup...

Just installed a 250gb Samsung 840 SSD and man does this puppy scream for a 4 year old machine.

SSD is the best/most noticeable upgrade you can possibly do.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, an SSD will give you the boost and really other then ram upgrades your only option to upgrade.

Depending on what you do, you'll notice a huge increase or just a medium increase. Disk based tasks will be faster but anything requiring computation or memory centric stuff won't benefit

3. Doward macrumors 6502a

Absolutely! If you have the capability, an SSD is perhaps the single best upgrade you can do to *any* laptop.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Sure is.

I got an 256 840 Pro in mine. I don't remember the last time I saw something bounce when opening.

I was on my friends Macbook today and was absolutely in shock how slow it was.

It's a curse to use an SSD, I'm tellin ya.

Took like 7 bounces for word to open on his :O

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I could not agree with you more. I was an SSD hater for awhile because I thought price vs performance wasn't that great. Then I took the plunge on my 2011 MBP w/m4 500 GB SSD.

OMG, I could not believe that an SSD could improve so much. Perhaps I should say I never knew the HD was slowing the computer down so much. I realize the HD is measured in ms and the computer is measured in ns but until you experience the difference those number don't mean anything to you.

I would NEVER go back to an HD now. People who cling to their HDs and claim they will never use an SSD is like saying they will never trade their bicycles in for a car.

It just pains me to use a system with a HD now...

-P

6. TahoeDust thread starter macrumors 6502