Brenthaven VS Booq VS ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MauriceMoss, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MauriceMoss macrumors member

MauriceMoss

I finally got my MBP. (15"), but still need a backpack.

I have been looking at the Booq Mamba Shift, Boa Squeeze, and the Brenthaven Prostyle Slim Pack in Gray.

I don't really need to carry a whole lot of stuff, so that's why I am looking at smaller backpacks.

Please feel free to chime in with any other suggestions you have but first come caveats:

NO messenger bags. I hate them.
    NO Tom Bihn bags. I don't want to carry such a huge thing around. Or spend that much.
    NO STM bags. I don't like the way the laptop goes in the cubbyhole area, and that its not right up against your back, but in the middle of the backpack.
    NO Swiss Gear or similar bags. I just don't like them. Too bulky, black hole interior.

YES to a brighter colored interior.
    YES to tons of organization pockets.
    YES to specialized padded laptop area next to your back.

Preferably it will be waterproof, at least water-resistant and have a foldaway rain fly.

Has anyone used the Brenthaven Bag? I can only find a handful of reviews, and most of them seem like the company PR line.

I hear good things about Booq, but when you hear bad things about them, they tend to be quality issues.

I am open to any other suggestions as long as they fit the criteria above. I am looking for something less mainstream...

Thanks!

2. aaronpaws macrumors newbie

I was in the same predicament yesterday. I needed a bag to carry around my mbp 15" around school with a couple of books / notebooks / papers / pens / pencils / external hard drive / keys / phone. I finally decided on a rather large bag, the crumpler part and parcel, but I figure the deal I got on it was worth it. 96 dollars off amazon, compared to 180 which is what it typically is. I highly recommend checking out crumpler, all of their stuff is top notch. I'll let you know how I like the bag when I finally get it.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You wrote a good description of the 'ideal' backpack for me as well.

Don't care for the Tom Bihns, Swiss Gear, Timbuk 2 etc. For my needs they're all too big or have something I don't like about them.

A smaller backpack big enough to hold a 15" MBP, peripherals and a book or two is ideal.

Most backpacks for sale are huge, inside looks like a black hole as you mention, poorly laid out accessory pockets etc.

You'd think one company out there would see the need for a smaller/thinner backpack and come out with something outstanding ... nothing yet ... still searching.

4. MauriceMoss thread starter macrumors member

MauriceMoss

I have looked at some of the crumplier stuff, but cant seem to find decent photos of the interior layouts.

I really like the looks of the Brenthaven bag, and it does look like it fits everything I need, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger on things online that I have never seen in person.

http://www.amazon.com/Brenthaven-Pr...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1285174156&sr=8-2

I like that it has the built in rainfly, I like the brightly colored interior, and I like that its pretty small and compact. I don't like that I can't see it in person, and that if I don't like it, I have to pay a restocking/return shipping fee.

The Booq stuff looks really well thought out. Tons of pockets and bright interior colors help. I just fear that the Brenthaven and the Boa Squeeze are going to be TOO small. I don't need to carry tons, but I do want to have some "wiggle room" for things other than the computer, charger, HDD and a piece of paper!

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

6. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

The bbp has good reviews and a heavily padded laptop compartment next to your back:

http://www.bbpbags.com/industriesbackpack.html

But no interior bright colors. It's only 7" deep, so that should limit the black hole effect..

7. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I wouldn't recommend Booq but Brenthaven is okay. You might also be interested in looking into:

Level 8 Atlas

BBP Bags Industries Backpack

Or maybe something else...

Good luck! :apple:

8. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Do you happen to know the exterior dimensions of the Level 8? Not listed in the review or Level 8's website..thanks!

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0764LL/A

Technical specifications
    Notebook compartment dimensions (WxLxH): 1.25 x 10.75 x 15.75 in./3.2 x 27.3 x 40.0 cm
    Exterior dimensions (WxLxH): 8.0 x 12.5 x 19.0 in./20.3 x 31.8 x 48.3 cm
    Weight: 3.4 lb./1.54 kg

10. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Thanks for doing this for me! :)

11. daniel-pittman macrumors newbie

G'day.

I have a Booq backpace, and I am really not very happy with it; the straps are pretty terrible and tend to cut in under a fairly light load. Like, say, a MacBook.

My previous backpack was from SpireUSA, and my current plan is to get another new one from them in the hope it lives up to the previous standard.

12. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Thanks! I looked in the apple store, but for some reason I didn't see the backpack listed. Must of missed it.

Looks bigger than the bbp, but they are almost the same dimensions (19"x13"x7" for the bbp, from their website).

Is there any way to remove that metal handle without destroying the bag?

13. butters149 macrumors 6502

has anyone tried the tombihn brain bag? I currently own the booq bag Mamba shift large. It is nice but it doesn't have many organize pockets for me and also it is a bit small. I like to carry binders and some books and laptop.

Is the brain bag alot bigger then the booq mamba? I want to fit a lunch box too.