brick?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by slug420, Jan 11, 2008.

1. slug420 macrumors regular

I want to get an ipt, but one of the main reasons (if not only) for getting it instead of some other personal media player or a nano is the potential it has if I can jailbreak it.

my question is what is all this stuff I head about "brick"ing it?

What does this mean?

Is there seriously something you can do with the ipt in software that renders the hardware unusable? I find this hard to believe but this seems to be the definition of "bricking" it that I am coming up with.

I am pretty tech savvy and have no problem with headaches and losing everything on my ipt when I am forced to recover it if it crashes....but if something goes awry and it becomes "bricked" I am not ok with the 300 dollar pmp being completely useless forever. I am capable of searching the forums and/or google to find out how to jailbreak it and how to resolve problems when I run into them but im just trying to make sure all the problems I could run into are indeed fixable.

2. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

3. steve.lawrence macrumors member

4. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

I don't want to scare you, but my iPod Touch 16gb. Hacked on 1.1.1 won't sync with my Mac. Done a settings reset and erase content, the hacked apps are still there but now I have no music and no connectivity.

Not good.

5. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

So help me understand (or point me to where this has already been discussed if it has been) if you will what the future *probably* lookslike for the ipt.

What is the general consensus?

Will all the apps that people are using on a jailbroken ipt likely be made available for the ipt without hacking it? Will some 3rd parties make a few apps and charge money for them? Will the open source community get behind this and make all the stuff everyone wants for the ipt/iphone?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

oh...so no matter what happens during jailbreak you can always recover? Worst case scenario is what? you lose the data you had on it?

8. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

But see, if you jailbreak immediately, you will have nothing to lose.
    You cannot brick a Touch, so do not worry.

9. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

im not worried at all about losing stuff I put on it. I mean i keep copies of the playlists in itunes and it takes a matter of minutes to drag them onto a newly restored ipod right? sounds like an ipt will be saweet

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

An iPT cannot become an iBrick. The bricking refers largely to the baseband corruption; no longer allowing an unlocked and jailbroken phone to get GSM service.

11. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

ah, so real bricking is only for iphones? ipt can only become temporarily unusable (until you restore it)

12. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Exactly.

13. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

thats great

im officially re-excited about the ipt!

14. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Jailbreaking, here i come....Muawahhahahah....

:p