Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnbn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2020
Last week when I was working I needed to unpair my magic mouse and pair it with my old iMac for few minutes. But later on Bluetooth module on my Macbook Pro 16" (2019) seems to be broken.

I tried resetting NVRAM/PVRAM, SMC and deleting plist com.apple.bluetooth plists on Preferences and ByHosts folder, rebooted in Diagnostic mode and tried everything I read on forums but still nothing for BT.

I started using a Bluetooth Dongle for it and it's working.

Tried turning wifi and my modem off too to avoid any interference. But still nothing.

On my console I'm getting

Sandbox: contextstored(100) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth
Sandbox: ContextStoreAgen(419) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

And here's my bluetooth details:

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 8.0.0d41
Hardware, Features, and Settings:
Name: jmbp
Address: F8-FF-C2-0F-3B-C9
Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes
Handoff Supported: Yes
Instant Hot Spot Supported: Yes
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Transport: UART
Chipset: 4364B3
Firmware Version: v63 c4183
Bluetooth Power: On
Discoverable: On
Connectable: Yes
Auto Seek Pointing: On
Remote wake: Off
Vendor ID: 0x05AC
Product ID: 0x0096
Bluetooth Core Spec: 5.0 (0x9)
HCI Revision: 0x1057
LMP Version: 5.0 (0x9)
LMP Subversion: 0x203F
Device Type (Major): Computer
Device Type (Complete): Mac Portable
Composite Class Of Device: 0x38010C
Device Class (Major): 0x01
Device Class (Minor): 0x03
Service Class: 0x1C0
Auto Seek Keyboard: On

All I can figure out is these. And I hope I can get some advices. P.S Continuity seems to be working sometimes.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
I'm having Bluetooth issues as well. Interestingly, my Apple Watch will still unlock my 16-inch MacBook Pro (sometimes), but other Bluetooth-reliant stuff doesn't work anymore. Handoff works sometimes, but AirDrop doesn't work at all. My MacBook "sees" my Apple Magic Keyboard and Razer Bluetooth mouse, but can't connect to them. I've tried resetting the Bluetooth module, deleting all devices, doing a fresh install of Big Sur, going back to Catalina, deleting plist, and everything in between.

Currently at a loss... don't think it could be hardware related, because isn't the Bluetooth module a combo with the Wi-Fi? My Wi-Fi is working just fine.

David Abrams

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
I have been having issues where if I use the Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Keyboard all at once there is a significant amount of stutter and dropouts from the devices. If I turn off the trackpad it is fixed; of course, then I can't use the trackpad.

Oddly though, the AirPods Pro work just fine when added to the mix, it is only when trying to add the trackpad that everything fails.

gojomo

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2010
It is likely the Bluetooth dongle caused lingering disablement of the onboard Bluetooth. Many people have hit this; many Bluetooth 4.0+ USB dongles, perhaps especially those with "Cambridge Silicon Radio" chips, seem to trigger the problem upon initial insertion. Once triggered, the onboard Bluetooth doesn't work, even after removing the dongle & doing all sorts of reboots/resets – but the dongle might, or at least partially.

Some have had their motherboards replaced to work around this, but it seems some have had luck with a workaround that involves using an *older* (Bluetooth 2.0) dongle temporarily, perhaps alongside other NVRAM/SMC/Bluetooth-adapter/Bluetooth-plist resets. See lots more discussion at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250944058

(I've had the same issue & have an old dongle on the way from Amazon to try to fix.)

Last edited:

antmit

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I get the occasional bout of stutter on my new Magic Trackpad 2, as though I'm sat on an RDP to a struggling computer remotely. It can last a few mins or so, and sometimes I try plugging it in like I need to charge it. Don't know if it's coincidence or not, but then it seems to work again shortly after. Could be a placebo, I don't recall it happening under Catalina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.