Bricked by 7.1.1

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by okboy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. okboy macrumors regular

iPhone won't turn back on since updating. Last thing I did was push install and enter password.

Luckily Apple Store is near.

Anything I should try? Anyone else get this?

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I'd assume you've already tried hard resetting the phone by holding the power+lock button for 10 seconds to see if anything happens?

If anything else, hopefully you have a recent back up and can try a restore. Hold the home button and plug in your lightning cable or 30 pin if you have a 4 or 4s and it may put the device in recovery mode and can restore that way.

3. okboy thread starter macrumors regular

Hard reset does not work, but plugging in to iTunes does. Recovered now.

Can't believe Touch ID is even faster.

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Somebody needs to catch that on video! Sold my 5s :(

5. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure if bricked is what people seem to think it is.

7. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

It seems that this happens to a handful of people each time they update, I hold my breath when I update now.

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I agree with you. Bricked is when the phone dosent turn on no matter what. Most people that come on here and post on macrumors saying their phone is bricked are really meaning it's just off or it needs a reboot or it's in recovery mode.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is so true !

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

11. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Correct. Was as good as bricked, but not so much. Should have said, effed up instead of bricked.

12. curiosity macrumors regular

Once I upgraded using iTunes and an old computer with an USB 2.0 internal card update. The device seemed bricked. But it was just the USB ports which were unstable during the data transfer.

13. dhlizard, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Seemed bricked
    Good as bricked
    Unbricked

Sadly, some posters can't take a hint (well it was actually more of a chiding than a hint - but apparently not forceful enough for them to catch on).

14. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Lmfao, it really really isn't.

Fun fact: It's impossible to brick an iPhone 4S or higher unless you've messed up the home/power button :p

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Actually, any sudden hardware failure can do this, buttons being stuck or non-functional often don't stop booting of the phone.

16. John T macrumors 68020

John T

This is the main reason I always back up via iTunes.

17. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I wish people would stop using the term "bricked" every time something doesn't work right.

File didn't copy right? BRICKED! Upgrade failed? BRICKED! Can't get your wallpaper "just right"? BRICKED!

If it isn't working right, just reboot and/or DFU restore. Good as new.

Here's a tip:

If you can simply reboot or reinstall your OS to make things work again, YOUR DEVICE IS NOT BRICKED.

A bricked device isn't fixable by any normal means. People try soldering or connecting JTAG cables or other weird, non-standard fixes to un-brick a device. It's an insult to anyone who actually has dealt with a bricked device to claim your device is "bricked" when all it takes is a simple button push in iTunes to get it working again.

18. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I mean to actually do it yourself. It is impossible (short of just dropping the phone/immersing it in liquid/etc) to brick it outside of those circumstances :)

19. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Soft bricked is more likely the correct term?

20. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

My iPad Air just entered restore mode attempting to install 7.1.1. 5s installed fine, both OTA. Only difference was the iPad didn't have enough space the first attempt, deleted some apps, tried again and then ended up here. Restoring via iTunes right now

21. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

When someone buys a new hard drive, do they consider it "bricked" until they install their OS onto it? A computer cannot boot from a blank drive, so it must be bricked. Right?

What about a drive that already has Windows or Linux installed, but you delete some system files, preventing it from booting. Is your computer suddenly bricked?

Is it a "soft brick" because you can just pop your OS disc in and re-install?

It's the same with an iPhone. If it's not booting up, then maybe something with its configuration is messed up. You simply need to re-install it's OS.

It is NOTHING like a brick. It can't be a "soft" brick if it's nothing like a brick in the first place. It never got close to being a brick.

Here's an example of a brick:

You try to update a router. Mid-way through the firmware flash, your power flickers off for some unknown reason (maybe there is a storm nearby, or they were doing work on lines). The router cannot boot because it has no OS. You cannot reflash the firmware unless the device boots. There is no recovery mode. No DFU mode. No "just reinstall the OS". The device cannot be used. It is as good as a brick.

If you can simply connect an iPhone to iTunes and restore, it was never bricked. Not a hard brick, not a soft brick. It was like an empty hard drive that you just need to install an OS to.

It cheapens the word and insults those who have had to deal with a real, actual bricked device to call everything that doesn't boot a "brick".

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If a plunger unplugs your potty- your potty is not bricked.

Same thing with an iPhone.

23. bassett700 macrumors member

bassett700

Does it really matter what people call it? Bricked. F'ed up. Unbootable. Dead. Wouldn't you prefer some say "my phone is bricked" and give a good description of what happened vs. someone who says "my phone won't power on" and provides no meaningful info? It's the background and description from the poser that's important, not what he labels it.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Both are important. Otherwise people can go around and say that their wallet was stolen and look for advice about it as long as in their long description they explain in detail that they actually simply forgot it in their car.