Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I've tried in vain to get my 3G jailbroken. I did (mistakenly) Erase all content and settings" and have been using redsnow to re-unlock. I even updated the baseband to the iPad version and I am using the new Redsnow 0.9.6 b6 and it keeps on hanging at the "Jailbreaking Filesystem" screen!!!

I originally had my phone unlocked with ios 4.1 with an older baseband.

Any ideas. I'm also not sure of how to back out of the current baseband. At one stage the phone came back with 4.01 but the phone icon was missing.

Can someone also tell me if I need to have an ATT sim as I am on tmobile now and just have a micro sim with my iPad.

Help?

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you can't downgrade baseband! that's why Dev-team had all kinds of warnings. not 100% sure the rest of what you are saying. but it's not bricked using that term is bad. Iphones a brick free unless it's a hardware issue! ;) get a ATT sim from somebody makes it easier to activate or ebay if you need too.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Well here's my crazy idea.

Get pwnagetool 4.2 and create a custom firmware based on 4.2.1 and say no to the ipad baseband question if it asks you.

Get into DFU mode and restore with that custom firmware.

Install ultrasn0w to unlock.

Done.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Use Pwnagetool (mac) or Sn0wbreeze (windows) to create a custom, activated, jailbroken IPSW file and then in pwnd DFU state, shift+restore (or option+restore on a mac) and restore to your custom IPSW. If your phone was updated successfully to the iPad baseband, then just install Ultrasn0w. If not, install the iPad baseband again. Presto.

Like an earlier post said, you're almost never bricked unless it's strictly a hardware issue.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Yes, but you seem to often cater only to Mac users so I figured I'd let him/her know that there was a Windows alternative for us poor folk. ;)

nah he wants you to go to his site so you can pay to play! ;) Sn0wbreeze if you have too. but it's not hard to find a cooked ispw. or to Hackintosh a pc anymore. My computer runs Mac and PC separate 99% Mac 10.6.6 100% PC Windows 7 :D

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Well here's my crazy idea.

Get pwnagetool 4.2 and create a custom firmware based on 4.2.1 and say no to the ipad baseband question if it asks you.

Get into DFU mode and restore with that custom firmware.

Install ultrasn0w to unlock.

Done.

Trying this now. Sorry, been away this weekend doing a spot of ice climbing. I am back in one piece so now it's time for me to try to get this little phone back in the saddle! I actually had downloaded Pwnage tool but didn't know what to do with it.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Back in the Saddle - thanks!

hackthatphone was spot on. I used his method but one caveat was that I got an error in itunes - 1604 error - which was because I didn't have a sim card inserted in the phone (http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgrading/724401-stuck-preparing-iphone-restore-1604-error.html). Luckily enough I had my trusty SIM form my ipad with appropriate micro sim adaptor of course so I tried the restore again with the sim inserted and it worked fine. I think if you bought the phone of CL with not AT&T sim you'd be hosed but I stand corrected (ebay I hear).

Unlocking these phones is easy when you know how and my problem was that the phone was unlocked in June 2010 (http://www.mylittleportal.com/unlock-iphone3g-iOS4-jailbreak-Redsn0w-UltraSn0w) and I was using older unlocking software with new IOS software. You'd think that the developers could add a little error message such as "the ispw file your are using is too old ....." for novices like myself. Trick is you need the correct combination of unlocking software (Redsn0w or PwnageTool) and the correct version of IOS.

I still don't understand the baseband thing as now I'm on the iPad baseband and can never got back to AT&T?? Perhaps someone could explain that.

dgamer84

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Can't get anymore clear than this.

45161.png

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Sim Card Needed?

Can someone comment on the SIM card issue I was having. It appeared that I need a SIM in the phone in order for the update to work. Is this correct and can I use any old SIM or does it have to be an ATT SIM and be active?

(When I sell my 3G iPad and dump ATT's crappy download rates here in my area I will be ATT-SIMless!!)

Last edited:

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
"Bricked" means you destroyed you phone, meaning you drop your phone from a 10 story building meaning it's broken into pieces, meaning can't use the phone at all... That's the true meaning of a "BRICKED" phone.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Can someone comment on the SIM card issue I was having. It appeared that I need a SIM in the phone in order for the update to work. Is this correct and can I use any old SIM or does it have to be an ATT SIM and be active?

(When I sell my 3G iPad and dump ATT's crappy download rates here in my area I will be ATT-SIMless!!)

Att Sim!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.