Bricked iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dark-saito, May 11, 2011.

1. dark-saito macrumors regular

Hello All!

I have a bit of a predicament... One of the teachers I work with wanted me to unlock her phone for use in Egypt. (She will buy a Vodafone SIM there because ATT roaming is ridiculous) Being accustomed to jailbreaking, I figured unlocking would be a piece of cake. Guess not.

The iPhone is in a "Connect to iTunes loop" in that every time i try restroing through iTunes it tells me that the iphone is not restorable? Up to this point i have:

Upgraded to 4.2.1
    Tried Unlocking (ONLY unlocking, no cydia) using redsn0w .0.9.6c14
    It worked I think (it ran through the code, showed me the pineapple and finished the loading bar and all)
    After that, it would turn on but would freeze at the apple logo
    Then starts the iTunes error 1015 about 3/4 of the way through the process

ANY help would be appreciated- this isn't my phone and I'd hate to hand back a phone that not only did I not unlock, but broke also.

Keep in mind, I've tried restoring and downgrading already.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

2. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Try a different Mac. It worked for me when doing it another Mac.

3. dark-saito thread starter macrumors regular

did not work...

Anyone have a FULLPROOF way I could just restore this back to normal? I'm planning on just giving it back, so long as it works. @_@

4. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

I suppose every young man has to learn this first hand.

Never do a favor if you can lose something if things mess up.

This is how my first marriage happened and how I enlisted in the military in the 70's!

5. binaryblob macrumors newbie

Take it to a "genius" - they'll fix it...

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I hope this isn't extra credit. might want to check out the hack section of this forum. might also help if you tell us what Gen your teachers Iphone is. ;) and I think your biggest mistake was upgrading the firmware. oh and never say the phone is bricked it makes you look dumb. just not possible 99.999% of the time unless it's hardware related.

7. dark-saito thread starter macrumors regular

Lesson learned, for sure :/

Considering the teacher RIF's in texas right now, I'm sure not many teachers would risk anything by assigning favors as extra credit lol. And the generation is in the thread title...

For anyone interested after some INSANE SEARCHING and trying everything this worked :] Iphone turns on and is unlocked! Noticed this thread had a lot of views and thought I'd post my solution in case others came to this thread looking for help too.