Bricked iPhone 4: Error 1603 While Restoring

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by N3rd4Christ, Aug 12, 2010.

1. N3rd4Christ macrumors newbie

Hello,

I had Jailbroken my iPhone 4 since JB became available. I decided to restore my device via iTunes to 4.0.1 (Using saved SHSH from Sauriks Server) iTunes didnt give me a fuz about that. While it was restoring the device gets stuck about 2/3 of the way and eventually get error 1603 from iTunes.

This is what I have tryed:

1) The obvious, Restore multiple times
    2) Standard restore: FAILED
    3) Restore to 4.0.2 (Have SHSH to go back): FAILED
    4) Remove SIM card and restore: FAILED
    5) Rebooted Computer and Used Diff USB port and restored: FAILED

I saw that iReb/iH8snow have the ability to overcome these errors on other prev iPhone models BUT i have a Mac and its Windows only, two this is iPhone 4 and its not listed as supported. I am willing to install windows if i have to but am trying to avoid that. Any Tips and help is appreciated.

2. TW95 macrumors member

I can try to help....

Hey, do you have a messenger service as it is easier than playing post tennis.

MSN, Yahoo, AIM as this would be easier.

If not you could enable PM.

3. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

Not accessible at this time, I shall try to enable PM but i am unable to find it lol. Give me a few.

4. TW95 macrumors member

Pm

Quicklinks > Edit options > Enable Private Messaging

If not we can play posting tennis here.

5. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

Tennis it is. Option is not available, maybe cuz my acct is new.

6. TW95 macrumors member

Error 1603 Tennis

Serve!

Right I have just been researching and some users have reported that removing the SIM card then restoring. After your iPhone has restored, turn your phone off (for safety) then reinsert your SIM card.

Hopefully this works, if not we will need a second serve!

Good Luck 

7. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

Out of Bounds!

Have already tryed this and it did not work

8. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

Please do let us know if you get the situation resolved.

9. TW95 macrumors member

Interesting

Okay try it again but also restart your computer/laptop/MacBook (which ever you are using), try a different USB port, blow the USB port for any dust (worth a try).

If not.... reinstall iTunes.

If not that then force into recovery mode. Hold down power and home button until your iPhone turns off, then let go of only the power button whilst still holding the home button. Now try to restore.

Again, Good Luck.

10. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

Will have to reinstall itunes (wont it erase my Media?). I dont hav computer on me at this time. Do you have Skype? or what IM services so ica n message you ina bit

11. TW95 macrumors member

I have almost every mainstream IM service including Skype, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM.

Don't reinstall iTunes yet, I'll do some more research.

If you need any of my IM IDs just ask.

12. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

I really only use skype so that one woudl work.

13. TW95 macrumors member

Please add t.i.m- on Skype

Update: Have you added?

14. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do thanks

15. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Mine is doing the exact same thing.. I think I'm just taking it into the Apple Store today

16. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

As easy as taking it to the apple store would be i dont wanna be stuck on 4.0.2 without JB and thus no Unlock.

17. bmwtech113 macrumors member

I had the same problem with restoring from JB on my iphone 4 and I tried a different USB port and it worked then.

18. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I would try these two methods of entering recovery mode and restoring firmware. Hopefully one of them will do the trick!

Method 1

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone or iPod touch, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2.Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the the iPhone or iPod touch to turn off.
    If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

3.While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to iPhone. When you reconnect the USB cable to iPhone, the device should power on.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

5. Use iTunes to restore the device.

Method 2 (DFU restore)

1.With the phone lugged in to your computer, press and hold power and home for 10 seconds. The phone will turn off at about 7 seconds.

2. Right after you count to 10, let go of the power button and continue to hold home for 10 seconds more. The screen will remain black.

3. iTunes should give you the "phone in recovery mode" message. Restore as normal. It should flash white right before it begins to restore.

Good luck!

19. N3rd4Christ thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Solved (Twice):

OK so I tried every method that was mentioned in this thread and none worked. I decided to try a diff computer which was running windows and that worked. I also tried to use my own comp to go back to 4.0.1 using SHSH method and that gave me error again so i figured it was my computer not the iPhone. I reformatted computer (had been planning to do this for a week or so) and that fixed the problem.