Bricked iPhone after installing 3.0 Beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fooziedog, Mar 27, 2009.

1. fooziedog macrumors newbie

I tried to install 3.0 on my iPhone without being part of the Dev Program. Long story short, I am left with a connect to iTunes screen on my iPhone and a "We're unable to complete your activation." Can anybody help? I know others had this problem, but I can't find any solutions. Please?

2. techguy1 macrumors regular

You're not the 1st and no doubt you won't be the last to have this problem :D

Read this thread and it may solve your problem .. Downgrade iPhone

3. jkeating2005 macrumors regular

another one bites the dust......

you can downgrade. look for the downgrade thread

4. fooziedog thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't work because I don't have 3.0, I just have an error message. I couldn't even get into DFU mode in iTunes.

5. techguy1 macrumors regular

It does work .. read this post and read this or watch the video to get your iPhone into DFU mode.

I'm assuming you've downloaded quickpwn and are using Windows !?

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Ha!

Hope you can return your phone to orig condition.

Next time follow the rules.

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Bricking an iPhone

It is possible to "brick" an iPhone but rather hard to do nowadays. Most of the "bricking" occurred during the Ziphone days of 1.1.4 and under. Now with the dev team their software is rather good at doing what it is supposed to do.

The OP should change the title to screwed up my iPhone or something similar. "Bricking" does mean turning your iPhone / iPod into a paper weight or brick.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

In my fairly extensive experience with hacking the iPhone and iPod Touch I've found it to be extremely difficult to actually brick the device. I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the people who think they bricked their iPhone really did.

Just keep trying to restore following the steps posted above and I'm fairly certain you will get it back.

9. golfhero macrumors member

99% you are just having trouble getting into DFU... As stated watch the video and follow the instructions closely...

10. fooziedog thread starter macrumors newbie

11. hbg macrumors regular

After you restore to 2.1 does everything work right on the iphone, and with AT&T given that the baseband is the newer one?

Also, before one does all this do they need to deactivate the device ID at Apple?

12. hbg macrumors regular

Another question- If i do all this and downgrade, will my phone be "jailbroken" and cause me future problems when the new, final OS 3.0 comes out in terms of upgrading to that?

13. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

when the gm 3.0 comes out it will update your phone no prob. You will just loose all your jb'd items

14. hbg macrumors regular

Thanks. Do you know the answer to my prior post questions?

15. Kobayashi macrumors newbie

Seems Im so lucky. No problem when I upgraded to 3.0. :p