Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdc1307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
The night before last my iPhone's battery was running low, and it appeared to die. However, the back light remained on. The next morning when I woke up, the back light was still on, but my phone responded to nothing I did to it. I attempted to restore it in iTunes, but I kept receiving error messages (1600, 1601, 20, 21, etc). After hours of web searching I have come up with nothing, but I have been able to restore my phone using RedSn0w. The screen remains black when it is plugged into my Mac, but iTunes does recognize the phone. When plugged in to the computer, the phone makes the same noise it makes when first connected and charging to a power source, but it makes this noise about every seven seconds. When I look at the crash report for my phone, it shows: SpringBoard_2012-06-27-144221_iPhone.crash (with different dates/times for each crash). Also, when plugged into my computer, the iPhone screen will occasionally respond to the swipe to return to the home screen.

I have a feeling that if I could COMPLETELY wipe everything except factory settings from my phone, that my problem may be resolved. It is just an issue because I can't do this on my phone.

Not sure if it is relevant, but I did replace my screen about a month ago. The replaced screen has given me absolutely no problems (unless this problem counts).

Any and all advice would be great!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
First of all, if your phone is making noises and being detected by the computer then it's not bricked. Bricked means that it has the functionality of a brick, and bricks don't go beep :)

Have you tried a DFU restore?

mdc1307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
I have tried DFU restore using RedSn0w, but the phone still does not respond. Once I have completed the DFU restore using RedSn0w, I am still unable to restore using iTunes. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow, but I have a bad feeling about this since I have jailbroken AND replaced my screen =(

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I have tried DFU restore using RedSn0w, but the phone still does not respond. Once I have completed the DFU restore using RedSn0w, I am still unable to restore using iTunes. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow, but I have a bad feeling about this since I have jailbroken AND replaced my screen =(

How did you "restore your phone with RedSn0w"? RedSn0w is used to enter Pwnd DFU, create custom firmwares, jailbreak, etc., but a restore still runs through iTunes.

In any event, if you got your phone to restore, you're not bricked, and you're likely looking at a hardware issue. Are you/were you jailbroken? I would take the device to Apple since, again, it sounds like a hardware problem with your screen...

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I thinking your gonna have issues if you had the screen replaced by a local shop or by yourself and the apple genius spots it in anyway.

mdc1307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
There is an option in RedSn0w under Extras>Even more> restore. I used this, and was told the restore was successful. I would think it is a hardware issue, but when the phone is plugged in and charging, it keeps making the same chiming noise it usually makes once when initially plugged in. Also, if it were a hardware issue from replacing the screen myself, wouldn't it have had problems earlier? I had the new screen for almost a month with absolutely no issues from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.