Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmyneedles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I have an iPhone 4 that was running on 4.0.1 jailbroken. I decided I was going to give greenposi0n a try so I went to update my phone to 4.1. Unaware that I was supposed to set up as a new phone BEFORE updating to 4.1 (I failed really bad apparently), I went to update and my phone is now stuck in the screen where it wants to connect to iTunes.

iTunes is not recognizing my phone. I've tried resetting everything. I tried doing the hard reset on the phone where you hold in both the power and the home button and then letting go of the power and just holding the home button. No luck. No matter what I try, my phone shows the pictures of a USB cable and iTunes, and iTunes won't recognize my phone.

Any ideas? I know I may have failed pretty bad, but there must be something I can do. Thanks guys

Tu13es

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
1 - Your phone isn't bricked.
2 - If it shows the itunes+cable logo, it's in Recovery mode, not DFU mode. You did something wrong in putting it into DFU mode.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Try putting the phone in DFU mode, and then, restore the phone through iTunes. Google for instructions.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
first at all, you phone is not bricked.

second, your description point to me to two things, you are no doing the DFU steps right, or you got really bad luck and got a hardware failure during the upgrade.

Try another computer, if the iPhone is on recovery mode (where you see the USB cable on the screen) iTunes should see it, unless you cable is broken, or your USB is bad, your dock connector is broken, if it would be something related to your jailbreak or software itunes would give an error.

Also try to put it on DFU again carefully, it should also go into DFU if it is there.

Third, Try Tiny Umbrella, see if it see it and them try the "kick out recovery" bottom.

himni

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Try rebooting you computer. I have had the same problem and all I had to do in the end was reboot my computer.

Are you running wi-fi sync? I was when I tried to restore my i4 to 4.1 and it kept on failing and show the connect to iTunes screen.

Jimmyneedles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
You need to put it in DFU mode. If you do this correctly you will have a black screen and not a "connect to itunes" screen.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

That's actually what I tried to do earlier, but the iPhone just stays turned off and my computer says that the driver to go into DFU mode failed. I've trained this on my laptop too and had the same error.

Edit: I got like 4 more replies in the time it took my to type this -- I'll try them quick and see if anything works.

To clarify what happens quick -- my computer makes the noise like it is sensing a USB device being connected, but it then comes up with a DFU driver error (that's when Im trying to go into DFU mode). I'll try all these new suggestions though.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
It is extremely hard to truly brick an iOS device without doing physical or electrical damage (120VAC down the lines). The worst someone can do that can't be fixed with a DFU restore is frying the SIM card with too many PIN/PUK attempts.

zeronz

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
I actually did the same thing. I ran the program before updating to 4.1

Shortly after that, my phone can't detect any network. I panicked and restore + update it to 4.1 as a new phone. The problem went away. Next, I tried again and there was no issue until now.

The same problem happened, 1st stuck as emergency call screen then says it can't receive or make calls. Restore needed.

I tried to restore several times with different computers all that but failed because of error 1002. Now it's stuck at the screen with cable and iTunes logo. Does anyone has any idea?

My phone is still under warranty, would my failed restore erased my jailbreak traces? I am so desperate for help now :(

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
This is what happened to me. I switched on Tiny Umbrella, it noticed my phone in recovery mode, right click and 'kick from recovery' and it works :D

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
It is extremely hard to truly brick an iOS device without doing physical or electrical damage (120VAC down the lines). The worst someone can do that can't be fixed with a DFU restore is frying the SIM card with too many PIN/PUK attempts.

Correct "extremely hard" to "impossible."

OP: Your phone is stuck in a recovery loop. Just put it in DFU mode and restore. You'll be fine.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Correct "extremely hard" to "impossible."

OP: Your phone is stuck in a recovery loop. Just put it in DFU mode and restore. You'll be fine.

No, no, no! No need to restore your phone just to get out of recovery mode. As others pointed out above, just use RecBoot, which will get your phone out of recovery mode in about 1 second.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
No, no, no! No need to restore your phone just to get out of recovery mode. As others pointed out above, just use RecBoot, which will get your phone out of recovery mode in about 1 second.

I was pretty sure the OP wanted to upgrade his phone to 4.1 and failed in the process. I suppose it is possible that his upgrade was successful and his phone merely left in recovery mode, in which case RecBoot would work; but if he is in a recovery loop because of a failed install and his NOR is not bootable, as seems likely to me, he will indeed need to restore his phone.

zeronz

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
recboot did not help. Tried running limera1n again, now it's stucked at the emergency screen. Then it showed this "can't make or receive calls. Restore needed."

Tried restoring again but showed error 1002. HOW?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
recboot did not help. Tried running limera1n again, now it's stucked at the emergency screen. Then it showed this "can't make or receive calls. Restore needed."

Tried restoring again but showed error 1002. HOW?

why don' t you try pwnage tool and select DFU tab and see if the phone does the DFU, if it does then create a custom fw and do the fw upgrade using pwnage.

zeronz

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Hmm but my phone is an official unlocked phone. Is it possible that limera1n did something to my baseband that is irreversible?

cvd

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Edit your hosts file and remove or put # in front of the line that has gs.apple.com in it.

Also stop being retarded; limera1n didn't magically alter your phone in a way that's never happened before to anyone else and your phone isn't bricked.

Cap41

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Edit your hosts file and remove or put # in front of the line that has gs.apple.com in it.

Also stop being retarded; limera1n didn't magically alter your phone in a way that's never happened before to anyone else and your phone isn't bricked.

Sorry people don't share your intelligence level. Why do feel the need to talk down to people.

THe fact is most host files have 2 different lines in it. the legit 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com. and the one that TU makes. 78.xxx.xx.xxx gs.apple.com.

THe the actual truth is to make sure the line with 127.0.0.1.gs.apple.com does NOT have a # in front of it. If the line is missing add it at the very end of the file.

Now make sure the other line does have # in front of it. Save the file. reboot your computer and restore your phone.

Iclarifeid.com has a step by step process for editing your host file. It is different for both macs, and windows computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.