Bricked iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mat25, Aug 7, 2010.

1. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

I decided to try out jailbreaking and jail broke my first generation iPod Touch (running 3.1.3 I believe) and after playing around with it for a while I deleted everything on my iPod using the erase all content button under the "reset" menu. After doing that my iPod reseted, but when the apple logo comes up a gear appears over it and eventually stops spinning. Also there is a glitched green line above the apple logo. I've tried everything such as dfu mode but it doesn't work and no computers recognize it, so i cant restore it. Im going on vacation tomorrow, so any help would be appreciated. Also I jail broke it using jailbreakme.com and after a while of the fozen apple logo, gear, and green line it resets it self and does it again.

2. celticpride678

The line you're noticing at startup is normal (it's from the jailbreak). Are you sure you're DFU'ing it correctly?

3. mat25 thread starter macrumors regular

mat25

yeah hold the sleep/wake and home button for 10 secs then let go of the sleep/wake. Ive done this while plugged in and while not plugged in.

4. Lumpyokc macrumors newbie

i have the exact same problem. i cant do anything, enter DFU or restore? nothing works. any help is appreciated.

sleep/wake button neither one work

5. avit macrumors regular

avit

Are you sure you've put it in DFU mode?

Try this.

If you erase all contents and settings for the iPod itself while jailbroken, it will stop working. It's been like that since day one.

Also. It's never bricked ;)

6. Lumpyokc macrumors newbie

dude, no buttons work

if its never bricked then why doesnt anything work? :0)

and when i try to use Blackra1n it does'nt recognize a device is plugged in

is anyone reading this?

7. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Yep. When you attempt to put it in DFU mode, does your PC say it's installing software for it? If it does, it's not bricked as such, I just can't help you with a way round it.

8. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

this happened to me it took a while to fix, you have to make sure you set it to DFU mode then connect to computer and restore it. I had to restore it differently by stopping itunes from detecting it because it was taking it out of DFU mode.

9. Lumpyokc macrumors newbie

Nothing detects it. Wall charger or iMac. It just goes through a cycle of apple logos then I get the spinning wheel then it locks up.

And I get the red battery dead screen

10. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

charge it. i had a similar problem once. the screen turned white and nothing could change it. dfu, plugging it in, smashing it on the ground *jk* but you get my point (i hope). i just let it die and then i plug it in and after it charged up a little bitit went into dfu and i was able to restore and re-jailbreak. see if that works. if it doesnt do anything when you plug it in just leave it for like and hour and try it again.

also it actually is impossible to brick an ipod touch. or atleast it has yet to be done. and people have actually tried too.

11. Lumpyokc macrumors newbie

It's been plugged in 3 days and it's not charging

12. mat25 thread starter macrumors regular

mat25

ok, i just got back from vacation and for about 3 days before i went i kept it charging just to see what'd happen. I unplugged it when i left and and i tried turning it on and nothing the screen wouldn't even turn on. I plugged it back into my mac and now its just going through the cycle again :mad:

i left my iPod charging for a few hours and tried dfu mode a bunch of times and it worked! Thanks for your help! :D

13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

I guess the god of ipods took pity on you and decided he had enough fun toying with you.:D
    and ipods can never be bricked.

14. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

you might think its not charging but if power is going to it, it should charge. try putting it into dfu

15. mat25 thread starter macrumors regular

mat25

lol, yeah. I thought for sure that my iPod was bricked but it wasn't :p

16. peshpeters macrumors newbie

Thank goodness this thread was here. I was sure mine was bricked (was about to take it to an Apple Store and beg them to reset it). DFU FTW! :D