Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gez2666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I updated my late 2018 Mac mini with macOS 10.15.4. The machine shutdown to restart and has been dead since. Tried turning on off unplugging to reset SMC etc and swapping power cord with no luck. It just outside AppleCare (1 month?). Any idea if it’s likely to be a power supply issue ( that I could replace myself) or logicboard?
Could be a worse time for this to happen as it used for work and the country i

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I ran into an issue when I upgraded to 10.15.4 just now - nothing would display on either of my LCDs! I used the Combo Updater: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2037?locale=en_US

One Display is connected USB-C to Displayport, one is connected via HDMI

Eventually some manner of turning monitors on/off and plugging/unplugging video and power cables I got a desktop on ONE of them. So the update finished. I then shutdown the monitor.

I had to reset SMC and reset NVRAM several times - eventually both displays have a picture now.

Reset NVRAM - turn off mac mini. Turn on, and immediately hold down command-option-P-R

Reset SMC - turn off mac mini. Hold down the power button for ten seconds - you'll see power light on mac mini go off. Now turn back on normally

gez2666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks both, tried all that I i have no response. Not ideal at the moment but i actually have the 2014 version in the cupboard which is working well until i can get to an Apple store.

I updated my late 2018 Mac mini with macOS 10.15.4. The machine shutdown to restart and has been dead since. Tried turning on off unplugging to reset SMC etc and swapping power cord with no luck. It just outside AppleCare (1 month?). Any idea if it’s likely to be a power supply issue ( that I could replace myself) or logicboard?
Could be a worse time for this to happen as it used for work and the country i
Did you make a backup before you upgraded?

Also, do you do any disk cleanup, maintenance, and repairs?

Back on February 1st, I purchased a Late 2018 Mac Mini with a core i5 processor, 256 gig SSD, and 8 gig of Ram. Came with Mojave, OS 10.14.6, installed. From my most recent SuperDuper! backup I had at the time, wiped the internal SSD clean, formatted it as APFS, did a clean, fresh installation of OS 10.15.3, and migrated/copied needed files, folders, applications, settings, etc. from the backup. It rebooted without any issues, and has ran very well. Upgraded to OS 10.15.4 via the OS 10.15.4 Combo Updater 2 days ago, and again all is well.

What makes you think it's the power supply and/or logic board? That would be a shock if either of them are bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.