Bricked MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by syntheticmilk, Jul 30, 2011.

1. syntheticmilk macrumors newbie

Hey, have a little problem here. I've had Lion DP as a main os on my mbp, now i decided to reinstall back to SL. Booted into disk utilities (menu was Lion-like), formatted my HD, but when i try to reinstall it says "Reinstall OS X Lion" (??????) ok, i press that and then it says "OS X 10.7 is not available" :confused: can't do anything. HD is emty, and the computer won't boot from SL DVD, just hangs on :apple: logo WITHOUT spinning wheel:confused: HEEEEEEEELP plz :(
    xoz -sm

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Have you tried holding the option key when booting? I have tried C before and it wouldn't work.

3. syntheticmilk thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, it shows Restore HD or smth. and the DVD. but when i choose dvd, it doesn't boot.

4. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Did you try burning the InstallESD.dmg from Lion onto a CD/USB stick, just to see if you can re-install that? Having some OS is better than none, even if you believe lion to be inferior.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree with this. It's a shame to lose that recovery partition but if you are going back to SL, it has to go. When you start, assuming you can boot from a SL dvd or USB, make sure you go to a single partition scheme, GUID partition table so that you have only one empty partition formatted MacOS (Journaled) before you launch the SL installer. Then you can tell it to install to that partition you just created.

7. syntheticmilk thread starter macrumors newbie

hey there,
    sooo, i tried restoring SL to USB, and it's just the same. won't even boot. hangs on apple logo without spinning wheel. heeeeeeeeelp :confused:

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Disclaimer: Wherever you have all your data backed up, don't touch it. If it's a usb disk leave it somewhere powered off until you get your Mac working again.

Do you have a spare drive USB HDD lying around? They can be had in Target and Walmart for under $75. Pop in a SL DVD and a usb external disk. Just ignore your internal disk for the moment. Of course the USB disk will be pretty useless at first as it probably has 1 FAT 32 partition. After booting from the SL install DVD, go to file->disk utility and partition the USB disk in GUID partition scheme, 1 partition HFS+, then return to the snow leopard install and let it install to the partition you just created. You now have a bootable USB disk that if you hold down option, you can always boot from it.

Once you get this done, run disk utility from the bootable usb disk you just made. Look at your internal drive and see how messed up it is. It may have 2 partitions. It may have none. It may have one. I suggest you partition it in disk utility, the same way you partitionied the usb disk: 1 partition, GUID scheme, HFS+ (you can name it Macintosh HD if you like). Once you have that done, you can download Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the USB disk onto the internal disk. It's faster than reinstalling and the very next time you boot, your Mac should come all the way up.

9. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

If you can't boot from any restore media then it's time to visit a Apple Store.